Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Citizenship/ time frame/ due date

Quote Originally Posted by Nether111 View Post
    Being allowed back into the country at any time for me. I travel a lot.
    A PR can do that, even if they have been out of NZ for years. I'm just thinking that may lift some stress from you.

Thank you to you both but my concerns are for my 81 year old mother who lives alone in the home country but used to travel to be with us pre pandemic. Before the pandemic we had the worst case senarios reasonably planned out but now It is very unsettling to even think about them.To be honest with you Citizenship was not a major concern then, but given how quickly countries went into their respective shells, I have come to doubt the value I used to put on permanent residence too. Btw how are you guys coping in the UK JandM?

Btw how are you guys coping in the UK JandM?
    The country is still in full lockdown, for good reason as there are continuing to be lots of new cases, and deaths, alas. But there are idiots who flout the rules. Despite it being 'necessary journeys only', this last week, people travelled nearly 200 km to the coast near where I live for an outing, got cut off by the tide, and involved huge expense and lots of emergency workers (who couldn't social distance when doing this, obviously) to save them. Idiots! https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...lled-studland/ Also, there are wealthy business owners all the time pushing the government to open things up again so they don't lose more money, with the matter of employees potentially losing their lives not appearing to impact on their thinking.

It’s tough times - thanks for your continued support here JandM.

I know as a PR I can always come in years later, but I do have a job & a life here that after each trip I want to get back to - and with it even being discussed to not let NZers into the country for a while that really got me worried, as I will need to make a trip in the next year and a half for family reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Nether111 View Post
    Thanks. Are you sure - that's what I always thought, but based on the requirement to have:

"been physically in New Zealand, for a minimum of 1,350 days in the five years preceding the citizenship application, and for at least 240 days in each of those five years"

you would think that you count back 5 years from the date you apply?
    The Citizenship Guidance Document (primarily intended for citizenship case officers, but also available for perusal by the general public) states: "The date presence is calculated from is the date that a completed application form is received by the Department, together with the required fee." It should therefore be clear that one should count backwards as from the date of application, and not forward as from the first day of residence.

Quote Originally Posted by everest View Post
    I have a peculier question; can you straddle years when calculating your absences? Say you take 8 months leave in one lot but you plan it so that when you apply, 4 months fit into one year and and the other in the next.
    This is technically possible, but practically would require careful and precise planning to pull off, and hence may not be the best idea.

Cheers Kelerei!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    A PR can do that, even if they have been out of NZ for years. I'm just thinking that may lift some stress from you.
    And here we go: permanent residents being banned from entry. Or at least made very difficult.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/watch-...WPX6C2ZB7BLPM/

A bit concerning that partners of citizens can come in and permanent residents can’t!
    Last edited by LemonAndPaeroa; 23rd April 2021 at 04:10 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123