Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: South Island Contribution Residency

Quote Originally Posted by gcapd View Post
    Thank you. His passport will expire May 2022. Will this not affect the duration of his SICWV granted for 30 months?
    It really depends on how long the Work Visa is granted for. A second or subsequent South Island Contribution Work Visa will be valid for the length of time required to determine the in-progress South Island Contribution Resident Visa application (WR7.25(c)); there's therefore no guarantee that it will be for 30 months (JoeyGo's answer above is wrong).

If you are approved a Work Visa for 24 months or longer, then E3.10(b) will be applied: you may be granted the full duration of the visa regardless of the passport's expiration date, and if the visa is granted beyond the expiration of the passport, you will be informed in writing that you will need to transfer the visa into your new passport in order to travel in and out of New Zealand on that passport.

If you are not approved a Work Visa for 24 months or longer, then E3.11 may into play if there's an imminent passport expiration. If the visa would have been granted beyond the expiration of the passport, INZ will instead only grant the visa up until the expiry date of the passport, and inform you in writing of the day the visa would have expired had the passport remained valid. Once you receive your new passport, you will then transfer your visa to your new passport, and INZ will then vary the visa so that the expiry date matches the intended currency of the visa as specified when it was originally granted.

In short: if you are able to obtain a new passport in good time before the previous one expires, there's little to worry about: just remember to transfer the visa to the new passport when you obtain it.

The above instructions apply for all temporary entry class visas. For residence class visas, R7 applies instead (so you may want to look at that too, in case the South Island Contribution Resident Visa is granted before the original passport expires).

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    It really depends on how long the Work Visa is granted for. A second or subsequent South Island Contribution Work Visa will be valid for the length of time required to determine the in-progress South Island Contribution Resident Visa application (WR7.25(c)); there's therefore no guarantee that it will be for 30 months (JoeyGo's answer above is wrong).

If you are approved a Work Visa for 24 months or longer, then E3.10(b) will be applied: you may be granted the full duration of the visa regardless of the passport's expiration date, and if the visa is granted beyond the expiration of the passport, you will be informed in writing that you will need to transfer the visa into your new passport in order to travel in and out of New Zealand on that passport.

If you are not approved a Work Visa for 24 months or longer, then E3.11 may into play if there's an imminent passport expiration. If the visa would have been granted beyond the expiration of the passport, INZ will instead only grant the visa up until the expiry date of the passport, and inform you in writing of the day the visa would have expired had the passport remained valid. Once you receive your new passport, you will then transfer your visa to your new passport, and INZ will then vary the visa so that the expiry date matches the intended currency of the visa as specified when it was originally granted.

In short: if you are able to obtain a new passport in good time before the previous one expires, there's little to worry about: just remember to transfer the visa to the new passport when you obtain it.

The above instructions apply for all temporary entry class visas. For residence class visas, R7 applies instead (so you may want to look at that too, in case the South Island Contribution Resident Visa is granted before the original passport expires).
    I applied on Jan 2020 and I got 30 months visa. They may have just updated their regulation I guess. 😊

Thanks for the enlightenment Kelerei

There are new changes to SICW which were published just recently about variation of visa conditions for a different industry and region in South Island. Anybody could enlighten me more about this? Say for example my dad is approved a subsequent SICWTRV soon and he found a job from a different industry, is he allowed to vary his visa condition?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyGo View Post
    I applied on Jan 2020 and I got 30 months visa. They may have just updated their regulation I guess. ��
    No, that regulation hasn't been updated for a while. INZ obviously felt that, given how long Resident Visa processing takes nowadays, you needed to be granted the full 30 months for your subsequent South Island Contribution Work Visa, but they maintain discretion to grant a subsequent South Island Contribution Work Visa of shorter duration should they believe it appropriate to do so -- just because you got 30 months doesn't mean the next applicant will.

Quote Originally Posted by gcapd View Post
    There are new changes to SICW which were published just recently about variation of visa conditions for a different industry and region in South Island. Anybody could enlighten me more about this? Say for example my dad is approved a subsequent SICWTRV soon and he found a job from a different industry, is he allowed to vary his visa condition?
    This is a very recent change to the South Island Contribution Work Visa (took effect on September 28th), and is essentially a COVID-19 response to allow those who lost their jobs to maintain their pathway to residence under South Island Contribution instructions. It's important to note that one must be able to demonstrate that their previous employment is no longer available due to reasons beyond the applicant's control, so one can't simply change jobs on a whim and expect a variation of conditions.

The instructions for varying South Island Contribution Work Visa conditions are under E3.26.1.15, and for your convenience, I've reproduced this below:

1. Despite WR7.15(b), holders of a work visa granted under WR7 (South Island Contribution work instructions) may apply for a variation of conditions of their work visa to change employers and/or regions.
    2. A variation of conditions may be granted:
      1. to undertake employment in another industry in the same region; or
      2. to undertake employment in the same industry in another South Island region.
    3. In order to be granted a variation of conditions under (a) above the applicant must:
      1. provide evidence to show they meet the requirements of WR7.10(b)-WR7.10(f); and
      2. demonstrate that their employment is no longer available due to reasons beyond their control.
    4. When assessing such applications for a variation of conditions, immigration officers will consider all the circumstances of the applicant and the reasons for which the former employer did not continue employment.
    5. A variation may only be granted once under these instructions.

I would expect one would have to follow the standard process for varying the conditions of a temporary entry class visa.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 7th October 2020 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added link to the variation of conditions application process

Thank you Kelerei. Appreciate it much.

Hello. My dad's application for a Subsequent Work To Residence South Island Contribution Work Visa has been approved today which he applied for just last week, valid for 30 months while he awaits for the decision of his SIC Residence Visa.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123