Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start looking for jobs

Default Where to start looking for jobs

Hi everyone,

Currently I have 155 points and I understand that I do need a job offer before any visa application.

Based on the various visa types below, would you recommend me to start with accredited employers?

1. Talent Accredited Employers Work Visa
    2. Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa
    3. Essential Skills Work Visa
    4. Skilled Migrant Category Visa (Points system)

Do you start searching for jobs by going straight into job websites or do you start by thinking which visa route you want to take and then aim for jobs which fulfill the requirements for that visa route?

Anyone started job seeking by going through the list of accredited employers and visiting their corporate website one by one? It is very time consuming.

How else can i start searching for jobs posted by accredited employers?

Thank you for your advice.

I can tell from my experience that you should go for accredited ones. Even them are not so easy to land a job. I spent 2-3 years finding the job, the one that in my country I never have to apply since head hunters called me 2-3 times a week offer wonderful and well paid jobs. I've 10+ years of professional software developing experience with fair English however most of the time I interviewed and started talking about my visa situation, I was turned down. Most of them said the process can be lengthy and they want people to start working very soon. I ended up got a job from my current company (more like transfer from my country branch to the branch here). It's a lot easier this way as they know how I capable of and they're accredited employer. Without this, I think I may not able to finish the move as I remembered I sent applications to all of the tech companies in NZ already.

Hi General AK, thanks for your reply. I have been hearing how hard it is to look for jobs in NZ especially when one is offshore. Some suggested to fly in to NZ to be physically present for potential interviews, but then again it's really based on luck because of the Catch-22 situation of "no visa to work" and "no work without a visa".

I am a Network and Software Project Engineer where I manage projects related to network and software but I do not actually have the technical know-how. Do you think it will be difficult for me to find a job? I am aware that there is a demand in the IT industry, but seeing how people like yourself with technical expertise struggled really makes me wonder where I stand in the job market.

Sorry, I'm not in the place to give that kind of info. I just arrived here less than 2 months and only companies and jobs I interviewed with were tech and technical position. What I understand is the IT people are never enough here, as same as everywhere else in the world. So I hope you have chance landing some.

I landed my job while living overseas - (that was 4 years ago...)

I know, my experience is old, and maybe very unique... but everything is possible! you never know

I applied to my job via seek.co.nz, and after one month of interviews I got the job

I believe that the most important part was that the company waited for me! I signed the contract, and my first day at work was 3 moths later!!! (waiting for approval of the working visa)

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by YessicaCBO View Post

I know, my experience is old, and maybe very unique... but everything is possible! you never know

I applied to my job via seek.co.nz, and after one month of interviews I got the job

I believe that the most important part was that the company waited for me! I signed the contract, and my first day at work was 3 moths later!!! (waiting for approval of the working visa)

Good Luck!
    I'm a .NET programmer and applied a few vacancies from offshore. so far no positive outcome yet. Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralAK View Post
    I can tell from my experience that you should go for accredited ones. Even them are not so easy to land a job. I spent 2-3 years finding the job, the one that in my country I never have to apply since head hunters called me 2-3 times a week offer wonderful and well paid jobs. I've 10+ years of professional software developing experience with fair English however most of the time I interviewed and started talking about my visa situation, I was turned down. Most of them said the process can be lengthy and they want people to start working very soon. I ended up got a job from my current company (more like transfer from my country branch to the branch here). It's a lot easier this way as they know how I capable of and they're accredited employer. Without this, I think I may not able to finish the move as I remembered I sent applications to all of the tech companies in NZ already.
    My hats off to you for your perseverance!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralAK View Post
    Sorry, I'm not in the place to give that kind of info. I just arrived here less than 2 months and only companies and jobs I interviewed with were tech and technical position. What I understand is the IT people are never enough here, as same as everywhere else in the world. So I hope you have chance landing some.
    I hope so too. Thank you for your encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by YessicaCBO View Post

Good Luck!
    I do hope to get as lucky as you. Thank you for the encouragement!

From my personal experience, researching the companies and applying for a job directly through their website and contacting them to send your CV if any vacancy arises makes a huge deal. They actually appreciate the fact that you are wanting to work at their company. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast