Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch

Default Winter in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch

Hi everyone, could you share how the winter conditions vary across Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch? Temperatures, difficulty of driving, availability of insulated homes, and anything winter-important. I come from a warm and sunny country all year round and it's difficult for me to imagine how winter is like and how to prepare for it.

I believe Winter is from June to August?

Thank you!

I suggest that for the weather, you should look at this website https://www.wunderground.com/weather/nz/auckland - I've called up the details for Auckland at the moment, but you can do searches on other places in NZ as you wish. Follow up all the tabs, and you'll find a place where you can see the details of what the weather has been like every day throughout the year, e.g. temperature, rainfall, wind strength, etc.. This is probably better to help you understand what to expect than to hear people say, 'Oh, it's cold,' or, 'It's quite warm,' which is only each person's opinion, which will be different depending on the usual conditions where they have been used to living.

As I just arrived here in Christchurch and I had been here once in late autumn and once in late winter, and considering I'm from Thailand which might have similar weather as where you're from (I read in the other thread that you're from Singapore). I can say that even in summer, if there is no sunlight it will be very cold as the weather normally goes 20-25c (winter in my country is around 25c midday and 15c in ther morning, usually 10 days in a year to have that "cold"). But under the sun it feels similar as summer in my country (35+c, even the true temp is just 25c).

Last year I went here in late winter. Luckily missed the coldest day but the weather still cold. I wore a light down jacket while I walked outside. There also 2-3 days that I had to wear long johns under my jeans to be able to walk outside. The rest of the days I was fine with a jacket and jeans. The latter days were starting of spring so not very cold.

I cannot remember much on the autumn visit back in 2015 as it was just 2-3 days and I had to go directly from my hotel to office with few chances to go outside. Only thing I remember is it was very cold and I wore lot of cold protection since it was a first time I traveled to a colder country.

If you can wait until winter, I'll update you again how I feel the winter this year. Or come see it yourself.

Winter in the north island is okay - I am from south America

We have cold and sunny days in Auckland during winter. Last winter was very nice! not too cold...

We don't take any extra caution while driving in winter, we don't have snow...

And the newer the property you rent, the less cold your house will be

Hi JandM, GeneralAK and YessicaCBO, thank you very much for your replies. Your information has been very helpful to me. I appreciate it

Winter in Auckland is pretty mild. Can get some clear cold days but not that cold. 5°C is the coldest I've experienced in Auckland. Can't recommend Wellington winter, I've done it, it's utterly awful. Windy, rainy, you can barely leave the house a alot of the time.

Thanks MagicPizza for sharing your experience. It is very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicPizza View Post
    Can't recommend Wellington winter, I've done it, it's utterly awful. Windy, rainy, you can barely leave the house a alot of the time.
    Not too different from Cape Town winters though (where we moved from). We're in Upper Hutt and don't have much complaints.

Thanks Kelerei for your contribution to this thread

Having lived in Christchurch and Wellington I would say that Christchurch is more bearable. It's probably very slightly colder than Wellington on average, but it's more consistent - Wellington is all over the place weather-wise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast