Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which part of NZ do you love?

Default Which part of NZ do you love?

Hi everyone,

Which area of NZ would you love to live in, and why?

And which area would you avoid, and why?

Thank you for your opinions.

I have been around here a long time and this is a very difficult question to answer because we are all different, have different tastes. Now I love Auckland as it has everything I need yet many hate Auckland as its too busy etc. similar to some love curries, some hate curries, some love exercise, some hate exercise, so it really depends on what you like and your own individual tastes. Sorry I could not be of more help here.
    The reasons I love Auckland is its diversity, the fact that its easy to get exactly what you are looking for, great shows, art galleries etc.travelling is a problem but thats city life for you.

Hi Dave in NZ,

Thank you for your reply. Yes you are right, likes and dislikes are very subjective. That's why I used the word 'opinion' in my post but then again, maybe I should have added one more word to make it 'personal opinion'. I have not been to NZ personally and I would love to, so I am saving up money for a long job hunting campaign over there. The reason why I am asking is to get a general sensing of the different areas in NZ, based on personal opinions. If someone says "Oh I love Nelson because of its beaches", and I do like beaches as well, then I may research more on jobs in that area. I would love to take a recreational trip to NZ just to visit different places and have a personal sensing, but I just do not have the budget to do that. So hearing from others may be useful for me to think about where should I start looking for jobs. Thanks Dave for your sharing with regards to Auckland When you mentioned travelling is a problem in Auckland, do you mean the public transport over there or?
    Last edited by Jsquare; 18th February 2020 at 03:12 PM.

Public transport not too bad but lacks a good rail system in my opinion ,in fact North Shore there is nothing. but fairly good bus service. Rush hour can be a problem, but that applies to most cities
    . There are plenty of Beaches in Auckland. Auckland has very high rents and are very in demand plus high House costs. Look up "Where to live in Auckland" for a comprehensive guide to areas of Auckland that is regularly updated

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in NZ View Post
    Public transport not too bad but lacks a good rail system in my opinion ,in fact North Shore there is nothing. but fairly good bus service. Rush hour can be a problem, but that applies to most cities
    . There are plenty of Beaches in Auckland. Auckland has very high rents and are very in demand plus high House costs. Look up "Where to live in Auckland" for a comprehensive guide to areas of Auckland that is regularly updated
    Thank you very much Dave for sharing more information about Auckland. Yes, I have heard that living in Auckland is awfully expensive. Is this the website you are referring to?

https://www.johnmason.com/news/expat...e-in-auckland/

Have sent you a pm

I've been to 3 cities before choosing: Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch

As I's looking for fleeing away the busy and haste I'd had in the city I lived, I fell in love almost immediately with Christchurch. Here I live approx 10km from the office and it takes me less than 20 mins there compare to where I left from, 27km in 2.5 hrs(combining 5 hours on the road 5 days a week!). Living is a lot slower here so I can have more time with my family, and also for myself. I has good beaches, rivers, estuaries, lakes, mountains, etc. All in less than an hour travelling. It has adequate malls, cinemas, and some entertainments but just not compare them with ones on the bigger cities/countries. If you're looking for outdoor activities and slower lifestyle, it's yours. If you're looking for a city life, you may consider somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralAK View Post
    I've been to 3 cities before choosing: Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch

As I's looking for fleeing away the busy and haste I'd had in the city I lived, I fell in love almost immediately with Christchurch. Here I live approx 10km from the office and it takes me less than 20 mins there compare to where I left from, 27km in 2.5 hrs(combining 5 hours on the road 5 days a week!). Living is a lot slower here so I can have more time with my family, and also for myself. I has good beaches, rivers, estuaries, lakes, mountains, etc. All in less than an hour travelling. It has adequate malls, cinemas, and some entertainments but just not compare them with ones on the bigger cities/countries. If you're looking for outdoor activities and slower lifestyle, it's yours. If you're looking for a city life, you may consider somewhere else.
    Wow, I am in love with every bit of description you have for Christchurch! I live in a busy city now and Christchurch sounds perfect to me from your personal perspective. Is earthquake a major concern over there? I know earthquakes and other natural disasters are a concern everywhere you go in NZ. But is it a bigger concern especially in Christchurch?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsquare View Post
    Wow, I am in love with every bit of description you have for Christchurch! I live in a busy city now and Christchurch sounds perfect to me from your personal perspective. Is earthquake a major concern over there? I know earthquakes and other natural disasters are a concern everywhere you go in NZ. But is it a bigger concern especially in Christchurch?
    We have in lived Christchurch since before the earthquakes and are still very happy here. It has everything we need and everything on your doorstep as mentioned by GeneralAK.
    I certainly couldn't afford our house with it's views in the UK (it's better now that it has been rebuilt ).
    Will Christchurch have another major earthquake, hopefully not in my life time but who knows.
    Am I concerned about earthquakes living in Christchurch, nope but I would be if I lived in Wellington.
    Majority of Christchurch buildings have either been strengthened or rebuilt now to new design codes.

I've only properly lived in Auckland. I have spent a lot of time in Wellington (every weekend for a year). I love Auckland because the weather is mostly good/temperature and there's easy access to some amazing parts of NZ; Waiheke, Coromandel, Northland, Taupo, Rotorua, Tauranga etc. I personally don't enjoy Wellington, it's too small, weather is terrible and there's not a great deal going on around it. Easy access to the south is a plus I suppose but you can easily fly from Auckland too. Another downside for Welly is earthquakes, it's pretty scary being woken up in the middle of the night to the house shaking. Their houses aren't structurally up to it either. Tsunami is another threat. Never lived in ChCh, I really need to visit that place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast