Thread: EOI Return to Pool

Default EOI Return to Pool

Hi Guys,

It is been so long the last time I wrote in this forum. This place was pretty awesome and helpful at the time I migrate (4 years ago).

So this query is on behalf of one of my best friends. So here is the story.

He has applied EOI with below points.

Age 30
    Qualification 70
    Skilled Work Experience 50
    LTSSL Work Experience 15
    Total points 165

However, points for LTSSL has been rejected saying below:

As you have not declared a recognised qualification comparable to that specified you are not eligible for points
    for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage for your work experience as an ICT Support Engineer.

To qualify for the claimed points you must have evidence that you meet the Long Term Skill Shortage List –
    Appendix 4 specifications for Software Engineer.

You may need a full International Qualification Assessment (IQA) of your qualifications from the New Zealand
    Qualifications Authority (NZQA) in order to be eligible for bonus points for work experience in an area of
    absolute skills shortage unless your overseas qualification is listed on the Immigration New Zealand List of
    Qualifications Exempt from Assessment (Appendix 3) (Please note that the awarding institution for your
    Bachelor’s qualifications are not listed on Appendix 3 so you will require a NZQA assessment if you wish to
    use these qualifications to meet the LTSSL requirements) . You will not need to submit an IQA to claim bonus
    points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage if you have a Seoul Accord, Washington
    Accord or Sydney Accord accredited undergraduate degree.
    Before applying EOI he has done PAR for his Master of Computer Science and it came as Level 9 comparable degree. Further, he has included his bachelor degree also as supportive qualifications in the same PAR. But he hasn't assessed his Bachelor degree as a separate PAR and he has included the Bachelor degree in EOI (This happened before Feb 10 changes)

So my first question was should he have done a separate PAR for Bachelor degree before applying EOI to claim points for LTSSL? I know this question is not valid anymore as there is no PAR anymore. This is just to understand what has happened.

Now EOI has gone back to the pool as they awarded only 150 points.

So my second question is if the answer to my first question is YES, how can we correct this issue now? Does he need to apply IQA for both his Bachelor and Masters and with that results, can he amend the existing EOI and resubmit? Or is it a good idea to contact the officer who sent the email and ask about clarifications?

Thanks,

The LTSSL can be found in Appendix 4 of the operational manual, and the requirements for ICT Support Engineer (and a plethora of other related professions!) are:

One of the following:

• Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (Computer Engineering) or (Computer and Electronic Engineering) or (Computer Systems Engineering) or (Electronic Engineering) or (Electrical and Electronic Engineering) or (Electronics and Communication Engineering) or (Electronics and Computer Engineering) or (Electronic/s and Computer Systems Engineering) or (Network Engineering) or (Software Engineering) (NZQF Level 8)
    • Bachelor of Computer and Information Sciences (Honours) (NZQF Level 8)
    • Bachelor of Computing and Mathematical Sciences with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    • Bachelor of Electronic Commerce with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    • Bachelor of Information Sciences with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    • Bachelor of Software and Information Technology with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    • Bachelor in Computer Generated Imagery (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Animation (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Applied Information Systems (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Applied Information Technology (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Applied Management
    • Bachelor of Applied Science and Bachelor of Computer and Information Services (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Computer and Information Sciences (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Computing (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Computing and Mathematical Sciences (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Computing Systems (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Computing, Communications and Technology (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Creative Software (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Digital Technologies (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Electronic Commerce (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Information & Communication Technologies (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Information Sciences (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Information Technology (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Software and Information Technology (NZQF Level 7)
    • Bachelor of Software Engineering (Game Programming) (NZQF Level 7)
    • A bachelor's degree at NZQF Level 7, or a higher qualification with a minimum equivalent of 360 credits, which includes the requirements of a New Zealand major in one of the following focus areas: Business Information Systems, Computational Intelligence, Computational Modelling, Computer and Electronic Engineering, Computer and Information Science, Computer and Mobile Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Networks, Computer Science, Computer Systems, Database Architecture, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electronics, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electronics and Computer Engineering, Electronics and Computer Systems, Electronic Engineering, Information and Communications Technology, Information Management, Information Science, Information Security, Information Systems, Information Technology, Internet Technology, IT Service Science, Multi-Media, Multi-Media and Web Development, Networks, Network and Communication Engineering, Networks and Security, Network Engineering, Programming, Software and Information Technology, Software Development, Software Engineering, Systems Design, Systems Development, or Telecommunications
    • A Seoul Accord accredited undergraduate (initial) degree (listed - see Note 3)
    • A qualification comparable to NZQF Level 7 or higher, with a letter from IT Professionals New Zealand certifying that the applicant’s degree and any further learning meet the educational requirements towards Chartered IT Professional New Zealand status

AND

a minimum of three years' relevant post-qualification work experience.

It should be rather obvious that, if you don't have the minimum of three years' relevant post-qualification work experience, there's nothing you can do to salvage the situation. Since one doesn't provide any evidence with an EOI (one provides the necessary evidence with the application for residence itself, if issued an Invitation to Apply after the EOI is selected), I have a strong guess that this is what's happened.

For the sake of completeness though, I'm going to write the rest of this post with the assumption that the minimum of three years' relevant post-qualification work experience has been met after all; in which case, one must look at the qualification requirements. The qualifications listed are New Zealand awarded qualifications; foreign qualifications require an International Qualification Assessment (IQA, which replaced the PAR) to show that they are comparable to the standard of the listed New Zealand qualifications, unless the qualification is exempt from assessment (see Appendix 3).

In this regard, two options exist:
    • Obtain a IQA from NZQA that has the Skill Shortage List Assessment Add-On. See NZQA's flowchart here.
    • Obtain a letter from IT Professionals New Zealand certifying that your degree and any further learning meet the educational requirements towards Chartered IT Professional New Zealand status, which one can do so here.

Which option to go for is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I would go for the ITPNZ letter if I already had an IQA (or PAR) but without the Skill Shortage List Add-On (simply because it's cheaper than re-doing the IQA!), and I would go for the IQA with the Skill Shortage List Assessment Add-On if I didn't already have an IQA or a PAR (because then it's a one-step process rather than a two-step process, even though getting a generic IQA and the ITPNZ letter afterwards would still be cheaper).

Note that if the foreign qualification is a Seoul Accord undergraduate IT degree, Note 3 in Appendix 4 reads as follows: "... the IT degree has to be awarded from or after the date the country became a signatory, and must be on the list of accredited programmes of the signatory country. To determine if an IT degree awarded is Seoul Accord accredited, please refer to the following link: www.seoulaccord.org/signatories.php."
    Last edited by Kelerei; 21st February 2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added list of qualifications exempt from assessment

Notice, having a higher level degree doesn't cancel out the need for an applicant to have a bachelor's degree which is assessed as comparable to one of those mentioned in the list quoted above, in order to claim points for LTSSL. (This is something that some people in the past have been surprised at.)

Thanks, JandM and Kelerei. Your responses confirmed my assumption is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pooh View Post
    Thanks, JandM and Kelerei. Your responses confirmed my assumption is correct.
    I had a similar problem which I believe is part of the "extreme vetting" being conducted by INZ.
    "Obtain a letter from IT Professionals New Zealand" is what worked for me, Do let me know if you have any question about the process.