Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: INZ is making changes to how we prioritise some resident visa applications

If you look at the dataexplorer, you can see that since june 2019, about 400 talent accredited employer resident visas were processed every month, with 700 in January 2020. I don't think many of them will meet the priority criteria. So I guess this means that this will free up some processing capacity for normal smc applications from now on.

talent.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yanco View Post
    If you look at the dataexplorer, you can see that since june 2019, about 400 talent accredited employer resident visas were processed every month, with 700 in January 2020. I don't think many of them will meet the priority criteria. So I guess this means that this will free up some processing capacity for normal smc applications from now on.

talent.jpg
    It's bad that this new change is not actually going to help them reduce their backlog, just defer it to a few months time when the talent visas kick off that they aren't being seen, as a result I actually believe INZ may do this change. They've never done anything rational or logical in their processing in our dealings with them so a ridiculous solution I can believe will stick.

The talent visas will kick off though, they only issue them for months, and you can only silly for residence after 24 of those. This change means all talent visas holders will have to gain a replacement work visa from now on.

Hi All

At last some movement in INZ about processing the applications. By chance does anyone know currently what date applications are being allocated to CO for both priority and non priority queue? Does there any progress in allocation?

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    On one hand I'm disappointed that this is the first time INZ have made information about the priority allocation criteria public, even though they've been using it for over 6 months.

But on the other hand, I'm encouraged by the fact that they claim they will now be able to resume allocations from the general queue.

I'm not sure what has changed to give them the capacity to resume allocations that hasn't already been available for the past few months, but I guess we should give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise....
    @EGoodHue,
    Just out of curiosity, RFW is issued for 30 months and the applicant can apply for a resident visa after 24 months, Assuming it takes around 1 month for an applicant to apply, without prioritization INZ won't be able to finish the case in 5 months hence creating more issues like interim visas etc.
    Call me cynical but I personally feel its a Knee jerk reaction to calm Media/People for a while rather than addressing the actual issue and this won't amount to any real solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Hope14 View Post
    Hi All

At last some movement in INZ about processing the applications. By chance does anyone know currently what date applications are being allocated to CO for both priority and non priority queue? Does there any progress in allocation?
    On 10 February the front of the non-priority queue was 11 December 2018 applications - the same as it has been since July last year. Priority applications will be being allocated out within days/a couple of weeks of lodgement.

Quote Originally Posted by IT_GUY View Post
    @EGoodHue,
    Just out of curiosity, RFW is issued for 30 months and the applicant can apply for a resident visa after 24 months, Assuming it takes around 1 month for an applicant to apply, without prioritization INZ won't be able to finish the case in 5 months hence creating more issues like interim visas etc.
    Call me cynical but I personally feel its a Knee jerk reaction to calm Media/People for a while rather than addressing the actual issue and this won't amount to any real solution.
    Yes, INZ are not able to process RFW applications within the 6 months an applicant has available to them once they qualify for Resi (assuming they apply on the day they are eligible) - I have heard of INZ contact centre advising some clients that if they're not happy to apply for another temporary work visa to tide them over, they have the option of waiting offshore for a decision on their Residence application! This is absolute madness, given that waiting offshore would mean leaving the job they are currently in NZ to do (filling a gap in our labour market!) and therefore the whole basis of their Residence application (the job) no longer existing. An example of the pure stupidity INZ are offering as a solution to this mess of their own making.

Yes, INZ are not able to process RFW applications within the 6 months an applicant has available to them once they qualify for Resi (assuming they apply on the day they are eligible) - I have heard of INZ contact centre advising some clients that if they're not happy to apply for another temporary work visa to tide them over, they have the option of waiting offshore for a decision on their Residence application! This is absolute madness, given that waiting offshore would mean leaving the job they are currently in NZ to do (filling a gap in our labour market!) and therefore the whole basis of their Residence application (the job) no longer existing. An example of the pure stupidity INZ are offering as a solution to this mess of their own making.
    Hi Erin

What is the option for RFW applicants for interim visa?

Quote Originally Posted by squishmaster View Post
    Hi Erin

What is the option for RFW applicants for interim visa?
    None I'm afraid - Interim visas only apply if you hold a temporary category visa and apply for another temporary category visa. When holding a temporary category visa and applying for a Resident category visa, you are obligated to keep your temporary visa valid at all times until your Residence application is finalised.

So essentially the basis of the complaints we all laid around SMC now also apply to RFW. So going down the accredited route now practically guarantees you need 2 work visas before you'll get your residence. As I said before, they are seemingly on top of this category right now so pretty much just means they can ignore the majority of RFW applications until next year when the new ones being submitted now finally reach the front of the queue. Don't get me wrong in in a selfish way in happy as the SMC queue will finally move but it's still not exactly getting out of the predicament by moving their pile of shame elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by deverett View Post
    Don't get me wrong in in a selfish way in happy as the SMC queue will finally move but it's still not exactly getting out of the predicament by moving their pile of shame elsewhere.
    I got a friend who started two months earlier than me. We are paid almost at equal level, but as he is in a work to residence visa, he applied in January 2020 and got case officer in a week. I applied in March 2019 and still waiting case officer. Prior to this, I invested almost $34k in NZ just for university fees, he started fresh straight from his country.

When the process is a mess, its alright being selfish.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast