Thread: Open work visa based on partner student visa

Default Open work visa based on partner student visa

Hey guys
    If my wife is studying nursing in New Zealand, would I be able to get open work visa based on her study while she is studying?
    It says on immigration site that a partner can get open work visa if the main applicant in studying level 7 or 8 and it is on ‘long term skill shortage list’

Nursing (aged care) is on skill shortage list. I have checked all the universities but none of them has a specific course for ‘aged care’ , it’s more of a major you can do as in the main focus of your study.

Also if I bring My partner to study here do I have to apply for her full year course? There are 2 semesters she has to do so can’t I apply for 1 semester first so like 6 month study visa?
    Can anyone help me here please?
    Thank you

I have never seen this matter gone into on the threads. I think you might have to ask INZ - and even then, it wouldn't surprise me if the ordinary telephone answerers didn't know the answer.

The qualification needs to be specifically listed on the LTSSL, and Bachelor of Nursing is not, therefore partners of students studying this qualification will not get an open work visa. You may get different answers if you call the call-centre, but if you email the technical team, you will get the correct answer. Apparently there have been a few partners who (mistakenly) have been granted open work visas, but it is very unlikely to happen for you.