Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Residency

Default Permanent Residency

Hi,

I've got an email saying Permanent Residency was granted more than 10 days ago. It turns out that I have to actually send my passport again with another application and fee just to get an actual label... But the problem is it has been 10 days and I still haven't received my passport which seems odd since they don't do anything with it anyway. Is that normal wait time to get passport back?

The time passing will be due to your case waiting its turn in a queue to be dealt with. This is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The time passing will be due to your case waiting its turn in a queue to be dealt with. This is normal.
    But what case are you referring to? Queue for what exactly?

You say you're waiting for your passport to be sent back and it hasn't happened yet, so I assume it must be waiting its turn to be dealt with by INZ clerks who deal with mailing things out. COs do work that needs their training and knowledge of the INZ regulations - they don't do lower-level stuff like moving papers from A to B, or packing and mailing. So once your PR was approved, the related evidence would be handed over to clerks to sort out, and they take things in the order they came to them.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You say you're waiting for your passport to be sent back and it hasn't happened yet, so I assume it must be waiting its turn to be dealt with by INZ clerks who deal with mailing things out. COs do work that needs their training and knowledge of the INZ regulations - they don't do lower-level stuff like moving papers from A to B, or packing and mailing. So once your PR was approved, the related evidence would be handed over to clerks to sort out, and they take things in the order they came to them.
    Wow. I honestly have not realized that mailing my passport back is a separate case for immigration. Well probably shouldn't be surprised since they have the whole separate application process for sticking a label in it as well. I just read some posts of people getting passport two days after the decision so I thought I should've received it by now and that it's way more simple action.

Each case is just one more tiny fish in the INZ shoal!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Hi,

I've got an email saying Permanent Residency was granted more than 10 days ago. It turns out that I have to actually send my passport again with another application and fee just to get an actual label... But the problem is it has been 10 days and I still haven't received my passport which seems odd since they don't do anything with it anyway. Is that normal wait time to get passport back?
    Just out of curiosity- how did you assume the permanent residence would be granted? Automatically? Or did you mean that you applied online ( I don't know if that is possible, due to all that has changed since we were in that situation) without the passport and then had to send the passport in afterwards? Which could mean that there were two different things happening after each other? Which could be the reason for the time it takes?

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Just out of curiosity- how did you assume the permanent residence would be granted? Automatically? Or did you mean that you applied online ( I don't know if that is possible, due to all that has changed since we were in that situation) without the passport and then had to send the passport in afterwards? Which could mean that there were two different things happening after each other? Which could be the reason for the time it takes?
    Don't really understand your question. For sure it's not granted automatically. There was no option to apply online. I sent the passport with my application.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Don't really understand your question. For sure it's not granted automatically. There was no option to apply online. I sent the passport with my application.
    Well, in your first post you sound surprised that there was a process for applying for Permanent Residency 'it turns out......', that's why I was wondering how else you assumed it would happen.
    Never mind.., hope you get your passport back soon.

I think they were more surprised at having to send in an application for a label to be put in. It is pretty on it's head that you have to apply and pay for that after spending 1000s.

@gnome it took two weeks to get my passport back after my residency was approved. They're just a bit slow sometimes. If it ends up being over a month I would contact them and ask of it's whereabouts.

I also considered putting in an application for a label (ridiculous as it is) but decided against it as I'm just going to wait for a PR label next year. I'm guessing PR is also an e-visa now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast