Thread: Residency visa still being processed; questions re applying for new temporary vise before current runs out

Default Residency visa still being processed; questions re applying for new temporary vise before current runs out

Hi All

I'm currently on a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa and have applied for Talent (Accredited Employer) Residence visa. Unfortunately my residence application requires a National Security Check so is highly unlikely to get approved soon.

As interim visas are not granted when applying for residence, I'll therefore have to apply for another temporary (Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa) visa and my partner also apply for a temporary (Partner of worker work visa) visa before our current ones run out at the end of April.

I have some questions I'd love you all to help with:

1) Can I wait until a couple of days before expiry of my current work visa to apply for a new work visa, on the basis that an interim would be granted to tide me over? Or should I apply a few weeks before to provide more peace of mind? I'd like to leave it as late as possible, just in case our residence may get approved before then (all depending on the NSC coming back), and so that I don't have to spend more than $1000 on work visas for my partner and I.

2) I acknowledge I will need to formally apply for a new work visa, filling out necessary forms, either online or paper, and paying fees. But do we have to submit any supplementary documentation when applying for the work visa? I'm really hoping not, as they have all of it and more in our residency application. In particular, getting new police checks would be very painful. Our medicals are still less than 36 months old also. I'm hoping we can just reference our residency application number when submitting our work applications.

3) Do we need to submit any form of ID to support our work applications? INZ already have them for our residence application. Ideally not, as we hope to travel abroad for a week in the immediate weeks before expiry of my current visa (we'll be back in NZ a week before expiry, don't worry!)

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterbrian View Post
    Hi All

I'm currently on a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa and have applied for Talent (Accredited Employer) Residence visa. Unfortunately my residence application requires a National Security Check so is highly unlikely to get approved soon.

As interim visas are not granted when applying for residence, I'll therefore have to apply for another temporary (Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa) visa and my partner also apply for a temporary (Partner of worker work visa) visa before our current ones run out at the end of April.

I have some questions I'd love you all to help with:

1) Can I wait until a couple of days before expiry of my current work visa to apply for a new work visa, on the basis that an interim would be granted to tide me over? Or should I apply a few weeks before to provide more peace of mind? I'd like to leave it as late as possible, just in case our residence may get approved before then (all depending on the NSC coming back), and so that I don't have to spend more than $1000 on work visas for my partner and I.

2) I acknowledge I will need to formally apply for a new work visa, filling out necessary forms, either online or paper, and paying fees. But do we have to submit any supplementary documentation when applying for the work visa? I'm really hoping not, as they have all of it and more in our residency application. In particular, getting new police checks would be very painful. Our medicals are still less than 36 months old also. I'm hoping we can just reference our residency application number when submitting our work applications.

3) Do we need to submit any form of ID to support our work applications? INZ already have them for our residence application. Ideally not, as we hope to travel abroad for a week in the immediate weeks before expiry of my current visa (we'll be back in NZ a week before expiry, don't worry!)

Thanks all!
    Hi,

I was kind of in a similar situation, since I am not with accredited employer so I have applied for essential skills work visa based on residence application.

I have almost provided the similar copies of documents which I have done for residence but no medical and PCC because they have all these in residence application. All I had to do is acknowledge in my cover letter and put reference of residence application number.

I preferred to apply a month before my visa expired and got in 2 weeks time after requesting urgent allocation of essential skills visa.

Thanks

1. Yes. People have applied for a further temporary work visa right up to the date of expiry of the previous one. INZ can issue an interim visa as long as you have applied while the old visa is still in force. You will feel anxious - you don't get notified immediately. In some cases, people have waited 4 or 5 weeks for an email confirming that they have an interim visa.

2. Different kinds of visa application are processed in different offices, sometimes in different branches, so your new application will almost certainly not be dealt with by the same CO as your residence application. It is in your own interest to make life as easy as possible for the CO who will work the new temporary visa application by giving them copies of the evidence already submitted, as Luckyone has done.

3. Notice, you can use certified copies. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/know...-question-7058 However, you may need to submit the original documents for verification before the visa is granted.

Thanks JandM. Superb answer as always. A question regarding the first point above about the delay in interim visa emails coming through; if it comes to the date of my current work visa expiring, and I still haven't received any email regarding the interim, how do I know if I'm able to legally stay in the country? Wouldn't I essentially have no valid visa at that point? Or am I to infer that they will have granted an interim visa on the expiry date of my current visa, but that they just haven't sent an email? If I call INZ, would they at least be able to provide some verbal reassurance on the day itself?!
    Last edited by Cotterbrian; 9th March 2020 at 11:44 AM.

My SMC application was lodged in Dec 2018 and is still in process - current visas expire End Jun 2020 - last week i applied for essential skills visa and partnership visa based on SMC still in progress. $495 each. Exactly the same docs as used for SMC application, just had to update partnership proof, new payslips, bank statements and get my employer to sign a new form (no advertising etc necessary though). Did not need a new PPC or medical. Website timeframes say 17 - 64 days but recent articles in the papers have stated due to Beijing office being closed for coronavirus, many temp visas will take longer to process. Not sure how the interim visa works if neither are processed in time!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    1. Yes. People have applied for a further temporary work visa right up to the date of expiry of the previous one. INZ can issue an interim visa as long as you have applied while the old visa is still in force. You will feel anxious - you don't get notified immediately. In some cases, people have waited 4 or 5 weeks for an email confirming that they have an interim visa.

2. Different kinds of visa application are processed in different offices, sometimes in different branches, so your new application will almost certainly not be dealt with by the same CO as your residence application. It is in your own interest to make life as easy as possible for the CO who will work the new temporary visa application by giving them copies of the evidence already submitted, as Luckyone has done.

3. Notice, you can use certified copies. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/know...-question-7058 However, you may need to submit the original documents for verification before the visa is granted.
    Thanks JandM. Superb answer as always. A question regarding the first point above about the delay in interim visa emails coming through; if it comes to the date of my current work visa expiring, and I still haven't received any email regarding the interim, how do I know if I'm able to legally stay in the country? Wouldn't I essentially have no valid visa at that point? Or am I to infer that they will have granted an interim visa on the expiry date of my current visa, but that they just haven't sent an email? If I call INZ, would they at least be able to provide some verbal reassurance on the day itself?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterbrian View Post
    It seems that yes, you can infer it as you said, and I think that the telephone answerers will be able to confirm the issue well before the email comes, but not necessarily on the very day.