Thread: Permanent Resident Visa

Default Permanent Resident Visa

Hi everyone,

My friend got his PR visa in January which has no expiry date.

He might have to return home to take care of his parents as they can' stay here for more than 6 months. I am asking questions on his behalf if anyone has any knowledge;

- Can he return to NZ after 5 years on PR visa? or is there any condition that he has to fulfil like Canada or other countries that he has to live in NZ on his PR visa for at least 2/3 years in the last 5 years?
    - Let's say if he doesn't return to NZ in 9-10 years and current passport gets expired, can he still apply for a PR visa transfer on his new passport even if he hasn't lived in NZ for 8-10 years?

Thanks

Hi cric0312

With a New Zealand PR Visa, the only requirement is to have your visa in a valid passport, if your passport expires, you must apply to transfer your visa to a new passport before you can travel.

The New Zealand PR Visa is different to those issued by Canada or Australia for example which also have presence requirements within the country as you describe. So I don't think your friend will have any difficulty with keeping his PR visa valid while being overseas for long periods of time.

However, the only thing I can think of is if there would be any difficulty in transferring the PR visa to a new passport while not in New Zealand but I'm sure someone on here would know and if not, a quick email to a LIA may be required.

A NZ Permanent Resident visa is valid for life, and there aren't any hitches such as your friend is concerned about. (Different countries have different laws, so what you hear about other countries doesn't apply.)

The visa can be transferred to a new passport whenever this becomes necessary. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a-new-passport

Quote Originally Posted by hab View Post
    Hi cric0312

With a New Zealand PR Visa, the only requirement is to have your visa in a valid passport, if your passport expires, you must apply to transfer your visa to a new passport before you can travel.

The New Zealand PR Visa is different to those issued by Canada or Australia for example which also have presence requirements within the country as you describe. So I don't think your friend will have any difficulty with keeping his PR visa valid while being overseas for long periods of time.

However, the only thing I can think of is if there would be any difficulty in transferring the PR visa to a new passport while not in New Zealand but I'm sure someone on here would know and if not, a quick email to a LIA may be required.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    A NZ Permanent Resident visa is valid for life, and there aren't any hitches such as your friend is concerned about. (Different countries have different laws, so what you hear about other countries doesn't apply.)

The visa can be transferred to a new passport whenever this becomes necessary. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a-new-passport
    Thanks, Hab and JandM. I did think that it doesn't expire and he can return whenever he wants but just wanted to make sure before he takes any decision.

Like Hab said in the last line - I am also a bit concerned if there will be any difficulty in transferring the PR visa to a new passport while not in NZ, and if he can do that from India. I think @EGoodhue would know!

Yes, it can be done anywhere. Look at the link I gave above, then at the second link from that INZ page. You select Transfer a visa label in the drop-down box, then your nationality and present location, and you are given the relevant fees and where to send your passport.