Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Default Coronavirus

Hey! I live in Queenstown and with this new border control and self isolation we are going to be massively impacted.. the phones at my work were off the hook with people cancelling.. the majority of the team is on sponsorships but my boss won’t be able to find 30hrs for all of us.. can he lets us go if he doesn’t have the hours?? Will my residency application be ok if I’m only doing 30hrs, I usually work 40-45??
    Thanks

30 hours per week is the minimum that INZ count as full-time employment, so yes, if you continued to be employed for those hours, your application can continue to be processed.

What your employer's rights are about letting his workers go would depend partly on individual contracts, and also on NZ employment law, I think. If in doubt about your rights, I suggest you should contact the NZ Citizens' Advice Bureau. https://www.cab.org.nz/ Besides their database of answers, you can get to talk to someone about your individual situation, free.

Thanks 🙏

Do you think I could get my application prioritised.. work are making redundancies, I’m safe for now but not sure for how long for??

We are now in a period of uncertainty which one would hope you would be given a bit of leniency as this is effecting every single person, not just NZ but world wide.I myself have lost most of my work hopefully just for a short time but I can assure you we are all in this together .Sending positive thoughts to you and everyone

Hopefully the bail out will help with this meaning you can be kept on and ride out the storm. My girlfriend is having her hours cut but luckily we have not claimed any points for her skilled employment as a partner on my visa so other than financial impacts we are still ok. The bail out may be crucial to keeping her employer afloat through the crisis though as they deal in travel so their bottom line has completely tanked with all the restrictions.

is this bailout for all residents and non-residents? I thought it only applies for citizens or residents only

Quote Originally Posted by desilva View Post
    is this bailout for all residents and non-residents? I thought it only applies for citizens or residents only
    Seems like it's aimed at businesses mostly, so the money is to keep people employed and ride out the storm. I'm assuming if you have a job your employer can claim the money to keep themselves afloat and employees in work regardless of if you are a resident of citizen. Presumably the idea is when this starts to subside we aren't left with thousands of redundant employees and businesses not able to ramp back up to full capacity without having to find new staff. Hopefully the potential redundancies don't impact residency applications.

I would be interested to know what INZ's working from home capacity is. Basically, are case officers able to work on applications at home? My inkling (it is no more than that) is that they aren't.

Government departments are currently assessing their work-from-home capabilities in case the Beehive takes measures to shut down workplaces. If such measures were undertaken then I assume that INZ's visa processing would more or less grind to a halt, with work continuing on only the most important or urgent cases? INZ's offices are in various locations, so if a government shutdown was limited to, say Auckland and Wellington, they could reallocate work to other offices if practicable?

Even then, case officers wouldn't be able to verify an applicant's information if things have been shut down.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast