Thread: JSV visa approved and can I travel now?

Default JSV visa approved and can I travel now?

Hi

Please advise. I have recieved JSV visa on March 10th 2020. I am planning to travel New Zealand. Even I am ready to self isolate. After that shall I get jobs in New Zealand. How is the market with Covid effect. I am in confusion. I do not how many months this will impact. If it stops me completely here, my visa is of no use. What to do. Your experience and advice help me alot.

As per advice from INZ and the Ministry of Health:

If you have visited, or transited through, a Category 1A country within 14 days prior to boarding your flights to New Zealand, you will be refused entry and be made liable for turnaround (and another consequence is that your JSV will be cancelled as per E3.40, which in turn will result in your SMC application being declined under SM3.20). Exceptions are only made for New Zealand citizens, holders of a Permanent Resident Visa, holders of a Resident Visa granted in New Zealand, holders of a Resident Visa granted offshore and arriving in New Zealand for a second or subsequent time as the holder of a Resident Visa, immediate family members travelling together with one of the aforementioned people, or Australian citizens or permanent residents that reside in New Zealand; see Y4.50(d) for the documented exceptions. Anyone who is covered by these exceptions must register with Healthline upon arrival (0800 358 5453) and to undertake 14 days self-isolation starting from the date of the departure from that country or territory.

If you have visited, or transited through, a Category 1B country within 14 days prior to boarding your flights to New Zealand, there are no travel restrictions, but you must also register with Healthline upon arrival (0800 358 5453) and to undertake 14 days self-isolation starting from the date of the departure from that country or territory. You must follow all instructions from a Medical Officer of Health relating to COVID-19 from Wednesday 18 March 2020, or you risk being detained or deported (and there has already been detentions and deportations in this regard). This will also result in your JSV being cancelled and your SMC application being declined.

If you have visited, or transited through, a Category 2 country within 14 days prior to boarding your flights to New Zealand, there are no travel restrictions and no requirements to self-isolate.

As of 19th March 2020, the following classifications are in place:

• Category 1A
      • Mainland China (excludes Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan)
      • Iran
      • Passengers or crew on board the Diamond Princess Cruise ship operated by Princess Cruises, within 14 days of disembarking from the cruise ship (as per Y4.50(c))
    • Category 1B
      • All countries not named in Category 1A or Category 2
    • Category 2
      • Cook Islands
      • Fiji
      • Kiribati
      • Marshall Islands
      • Federated States of Micronesia
      • Nauru
      • New Caledonia
      • Niue
      • Palau
      • Papua New Guinea
      • Samoa
      • Solomon Islands
      • Tonga
      • Tuvalu
      • Vanuatu
      • Tokelau
      • Wallis and Futuna

As you appear to be travelling from a Category 1B location, there is a clear message from INZ and the Ministry of Health: only travel to New Zealand if you have clear and concrete plans to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. If you are unable to make such plans, do not travel.

Practically, I would use that self-isolation period to get my CV/resume in order and to start sending it out to companies and recruitment agencies. From my own experience having been in a similar situation, those first two weeks will be spent reaching out in such a manner and getting over jet lag: you're really unlikely to land an interview before those 14 days are up. Of course, whether companies are still hiring or not very much depends on your area of work, and that's something that you will need to research yourself: it's simply not possible for anyone else to do this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post

As you appear to be travelling from a Category 1B location, there is a clear message from INZ and the Ministry of Health: only travel to New Zealand if you have clear and concrete plans to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. If you are unable to make such plans, do not travel.
    Saying this one needs to have solid arrangement for self-isolation, such as driving straight to a hotel for self isolation, not even eating in a restaurant or buying groceries before self-isolation.

Ignore my previous post.

The New Zealand border is now closed. Most foreign travellers can no longer enter New Zealand. Returning residents and citizens must isolate themselves for 14 days upon arrival.

Entry will only be granted to:

• New Zealand citizens
    • Holders of a Permanent Resident Visa
    • Holders of a Resident Visa granted onshore
    • Holders of a Resident Visa granted offshore, where the holder is arriving in New Zealand for a second or subsequent time as the holder of a Resident Visa
    • The partner, legal guardian or any dependent children who are travelling with a person described above
    • Australian citizens or a person who holds a current permanent residence visa (including a resident return visa) issued by the Government of Australia, where New Zealand is their primary place of established residence

Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis by Immigration New Zealand for:

• humanitarian reasons
    • health and other essential workers
    • citizens of Samoa and Tonga for essential travel to New Zealand
    • the holder of a Visitor Visa who is the partner of dependent of a temporary work or student visa holder and who normally lives in New Zealand and is currently in New Zealand.

Refer to the official INZ COVID-19 information, Y4.50 and Y3.10.

Quote Originally Posted by krshnamurthi View Post
    Hi

Please advise. I have recieved JSV visa on March 10th 2020. I am planning to travel New Zealand. Even I am ready to self isolate. After that shall I get jobs in New Zealand. How is the market with Covid effect. I am in confusion. I do not how many months this will impact. If it stops me completely here, my visa is of no use. What to do. Your experience and advice help me alot.
    Sympathies about having this happen right NOW in your application process.

The previous posters are right about the new exclusion decisions. In your place, I would get in touch with INZ to ask what they intend to do about people in your situation. There are no regulations to cover this, as we are all, world-wide, in an unpredicted and unpredictable situation. Governments are having to make things up as they go along - so I expect that this matter (travelling within the validity of a particular visa) may well have to get its own rule when the emergency dies down.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Sympathies about having this happen right NOW in your application process.

The previous posters are right about the new exclusion decisions. In your place, I would get in touch with INZ to ask what they intend to do about people in your situation. There are no regulations to cover this, as we are all, world-wide, in an unpredicted and unpredictable situation. Governments are having to make things up as they go along - so I expect that this matter (travelling within the validity of a particular visa) may well have to get its own rule when the emergency dies down.
    Thanks JANDM. Even after this effect, if there could be any extension, that will be helpful.