Thread: Onshore temporary visa applications

Default Onshore temporary visa applications

Good morning all,

Does anyone know if existing applications for temporary visas will still be processed, or if they will be cancelled? I'm onshore, have been since January, and I'm 7 weeks into waiting for a partner of a NZ work visa (currently on a visitor visa until the sunmer).

I'm just worried that my application could be cancelled due to the current situation, as it's only for a temporary visa.

Any insight more than welcome, I dont want to bother INZ by phoning at the moment!

There has been no mention of any possibility of cancelling any applications. I'm sure you're anxious - everybody always is when they have an application in to INZ, even in normal times, which these aren't. There are all kinds of rumours flying around, which go from one person saying 'I wonder if...' to 'Have you heard they're going to...' in the blink of an eye, but don't let the gossip get to you.

This https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...-notifications is the place where you will see any official announcements from INZ, about anything.

INZ won't cancel all current applications, but they are highly unlikely to be processing them for the next 4 weeks. Once the Prime Minister issues an epidemic notice (she mentioned this would happen today), all current temp visa holders in NZ will have their current visas guaranteed to remain valid for the duration of the epidemic notice and for 3 months after the epidemic notice expiry.

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    Once the Prime Minister issues an epidemic notice (she mentioned this would happen today), all current temp visa holders in NZ will have their current visas guaranteed to remain valid for the duration of the epidemic notice and for 3 months after the epidemic notice expiry.
    Is this established policy? Is there somewhere official I can read this?

Disregard, I saw this in one of your other posts!

Section 78 of the Immigration Act 2009:

78 Deemed extension of temporary entry class visa expiring during epidemic
    (1) This section applies to a temporary entry class visa held by a person in New Zealand if—
    (a) it was current immediately before the commencement of an epidemic management notice; and
    (b) but for this section, it would expire before the day that is 14 days after the day on which the notice expires.
    (2) The visa must, for all purposes, be treated as if it continues to be a current visa allowing stay in New Zealand until the earlier of the following events:
    (a) its cancellation:
    (b) the expiration of 3 months after the day on which the epidemic management notice expires.
    (3) Subsection (2) does not require—
    (a) the endorsement or modification of the visa; or
    (b) the issue of a document extending the visa; or
    (c) the grant of a new visa.

Due to the lockdown if we don't get paid for 4 weeks, will it affect the SMC application.

I spoke with immigration yesterday and they said that as long as you stay employed and aren’t being made redundant then unpaid leave will not affect residency application.. he just advised to inform your CO when appointed one.

I'm still waiting for advice from INZ re: processing capacity during lockdown and whether onshore offices will remain staffed to process applications. Will post here as soon as I hear anything.

Confirmation received from INZ that visa processing will cease after today for the lockdown. Only border operations and the contact centre will continue after today during the lockdown.