Thread: Border restrictions for resident visa holder

Default Border restrictions for resident visa holder

Hi all
    Just quick question on behalf of my Mate.
    He is currently overseas . He had his resident visa approved month ago. He has been living in nz for 10 years .

Will he be allowed to enter New Zealand ??
    Please reply thank.you ....

If it's the first time he'd be entering NZ with the Resident visa (ie. every other time he's come and gone from NZ he's had a work or other type of temp visa) then no, he is not exempt from the border restrictions.

Yes its first time entering in nz on resident visa also first time he left nz on resident visa ......how long this rule will last for ......please enlighten me Erin thank you for your help

I'm afraid I don't know how long the border restrictions will be in place - I expect it will be for as long as it takes to contain this virus all around the world, so potentially several months.

Quote Originally Posted by slowrock12 View Post
    Yes its first time entering in nz on resident visa also first time he left nz on resident visa ......how long this rule will last for ......please enlighten me Erin thank you for your help
    Hang on... was the Resident Visa granted offshore or onshore? If it was granted onshore, then he's already been in New Zealand on the Resident Visa and must be granted entry permission (Y3.10(a), which is referenced from Y4.50, being the immigration instructions relating to people who must be refused entry permission due to the COVID-19 situation -- also, Section 108 of the Immigration Act).

If the Resident Visa was granted offshore, then it's dependent on whether he has previously entered New Zealand on that Resident Visa: if he hasn't, then entry permission must be applied for at the border -- and as Erin says, with the current border restrictions, entry permission will be denied unless Y4.50(b) or Y4.50(c) applies. I should mention that, as per Section 107 of the Immigration Act, refusal of entry permission will result in the automatic cancellation of his Resident Visa.

Yes his resident visa was approved onshore...
    This could be good news for him also his partner with resident visa is working on one of the occupation in essential health worker list .....