Thread: Getting a visa application processed if you are an Essential Worker

Default Getting a visa application processed if you are an Essential Worker

As per the INZ website, the following are deemed 'Essential Health Workers' during the Covid-19 lockdown:

Medical Doctors
    Nurses
    Midwives
    Psychologists
    Physiotherapists
    Technical and support staff working in:
    Theatre
    Laboratory
    Radiology
    Cardiology Blood service
    Nuclear medicine
    Oncology
    Haematology
    Pathology
    Hyperbaric medicine
    Mortuary
    Research Staff
    Support staff working in:
    Aged care
    Palliative/hospice care
    Mental health
    Child health
    Forensic care

If you are employed in one of these occupations and either have a work visa application lodged with INZ now or are planning to lodge one very soon, you can request that your application be processed urgently by sending a request to EmploymentVisaEscalations@mbie.govt.nz.

I have been advised that those who are based offshore and are in one of the above occupations can also send a request to this email address regarding the process of being granted an exception to come onshore given the current border restrictions.

Thanks for the update Erin. I am working during this Lockdown because my occupation is deemed Essential Worker but not under the health Sector. Will this exception cover other occupations and also will it cover residence visa applications or only the work visa application? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Preet91 View Post
    Thanks for the update Erin. I am working during this Lockdown because my occupation is deemed Essential Worker but not under the health Sector. Will this exception cover other occupations and also will it cover residence visa applications or only the work visa application? Thanks
    As I understand it, there is a difference between the Government's definition of essential workers and INZ's definition as per their website (and the list above). I believe that only those health workers in the list above will be given priority visa processing, and is probably likely to cover only work visas in this instance (so that they can begin or keep working) and may extend to their Residence applications in the near future.

It may be that INZ extend their priority to the wider list of essential workers (other than health workers) soon, but that hasn't happened so far.

As an example of how poorly-organised INZ are at the moment, just a day after I was told to use the Employment Visa Escalation process for getting urgent applications processed for essential workers, they have now put in place a request form: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/form...to-new-zealand.

The INZ website also says this:

"If you are not a New Zealand citizen or resident but are eligible to travel to New Zealand by meeting one of the exceptional circumstances described above, you can make a request to Immigration New Zealand. You can make a request if you already have a New Zealand visa, if you have submitted an application for a visa, or if you do not have a visa.An immigration officer will assess your request. If they are satisfied that you are eligible to travel to New Zealand they will contact you with information about what to do. We understand that there may be some urgency around your situation. As we are dealing with high numbers of requests for assistance we are currently aiming to respond within two working days, however this timeframe may be longer depending on enquiry volumes and the complexity of requests we receive.

Before submitting a request, consider the availability of flights to New Zealand and travel restrictions for any country you may need to transit on the way to New Zealand."