Thread: Thinking of riding out the coronavirus in New Zealand

Default Thinking of riding out the coronavirus in New Zealand

All these stories of California billionaires and their NZ bunkers got me thinking of heading down under myself. Level 4 lockdown seemed pretty distasteful, but level 3 seems about like what we have here. The two week quarantine is also unpleasant, but I figure an ocean view bach would be pretty inexpensive right now (if I understand correctly, the government is paying for a stay in a trailer). Getting there is a problem, since I am without a private jet, but it looks like if I fly to LAX, there are still a few flights a week going to NZ...a little expensive. I do need to convince the wife. Okay, talk me out of this.

In general, with very few exceptions, only citizens and returning residents and their families are currently allowed entry. This will not change under level 3, nor for the foreseeable future. Would you qualify for entry?

If you don't have a residence visa and have already been on shore with that visa your aren't welcome in at the moment. Even those on work visas who live here can't come back in unless they apply for an exception as an essential health care worker.

The border restrictions are very likely to be around for a while in some form, they've said even at alert level 1 there will still be controls at the border, they may let a few other existing visa holders in but I'd assume quarantine isn't going anywhere. They've worked too hard and sacrificed too much to just let that gain go by reopening uncontrolled borders.

72andsunny is a resident who lived here for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    72andsunny is a resident who lived here for years.
    Citizen!!

And my old job is currently open. My coworkers are working 20 hour weeks, paid for 40. My whole life I’ve dreamed of working halftime while getting paid for full time. I am doubtful they’d hire me right now, though.

Worth an ask, if you're keen...

Trying to get a leave of absence from work for a few months. I was hoping to get there before level 2, so everybody wouldn’t be out having fun while we were in quarantine. But we’ve waited too long and our passports expired, so we’ll have to wait even longer. Maybe Hawaii will get invited into the Aussie/NZ bubble if we’re also successful in knocking out the coronavirus.