Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Partner of a NZ Citizen residence visa - first entry

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    7

    Default Partner of a NZ Citizen residence visa - first entry

    Hi everyone,
    I live in Poland and was granted my residence visa on 15 Jan of this year, meaning I have until Jan next year to make a first entry into NZ. My partner (NZ citizen) and I have our flights booked for August, however, with borders being closed for all flights at the moment and all neighbouring countries also imposing limits on non-residents entering by land, we don't have any options to get to NZ. I'm worried that this might be the case for the foreseeable future and was wondering whether there may be a chance that INZ might extend the period I'm allowed to make a first entry if the situation continues this way.
    Wondering if anyone else is in a similar position...?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    New Zealand (ex: South Africa)
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polskiwi View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I live in Poland and was granted my residence visa on 15 Jan of this year, meaning I have until Jan next year to make a first entry into NZ. My partner (NZ citizen) and I have our flights booked for August, however, with borders being closed for all flights at the moment and all neighbouring countries also imposing limits on non-residents entering by land, we don't have any options to get to NZ. I'm worried that this might be the case for the foreseeable future and was wondering whether there may be a chance that INZ might extend the period I'm allowed to make a first entry if the situation continues this way.
    Wondering if anyone else is in a similar position...?
    No decision has yet been taken as to whether Resident Visa first entry conditions will be extended or not. Unless INZ communicates such an extension, it would be prudent to assume that there won't be one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36,892

    Default

    The NZ government are reacting to this whole situation as it unfolds. Their main priority is coping with the pandemic, and most of their published decisions so far have been related to that. Immigration matters are a long way down their list. Many people, in and out of the country, have had their plans upset and their work and visa situations driven right off-course, so when the end of the emergency comes, there is going to be a lot of sorting out to do about regularizing situations - individuals AND INZ itself have, through no fault of their own, not kept to the regulations, in many different ways. There's no way to tell exactly what measures will be decided when it comes time to pick up the pieces.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks for the reply. Here's hoping things get better soon

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hi Everyone

    I have been a regular follower of this forum since the time i started filing my application for Resident Visa under SMC. Thanks to Erin, now i can post comments and ask questions as well. I must say, that the discussion on this forum is a great source of information for me and many of us. You guys are doing a wonderful job.

    Now coming to my situation i am now resident currently in NZ. My family also got the resident visa (offshore) but couldnt make the first entry in NZ before the travel ban. Thus now stuck overseas waitiing anxiously to join me. The new updates on immigration website says:

    From 18 June partners and dependants of New Zealand citizens and residents who are ordinarily resident in New Zealand or hold a visa on the basis of their relationship will no longer need to travel with their New Zealand citizen or resident family member to be granted an exception to the border closure.

    My two questions are:

    1. Are these changes applicable in my situation and can my family now travel to New Zealand without me accompanying them on the same flight?
    2. The note says the changes will be implemented from 18th June. Can anyone suggest we should wait till 18th before applying for the travel ban exemption or are they already considering these changes while assessing the travel ban exemption applications?

    Thanks...!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •