Thread: Question re qualification

Default Question re qualification

Hoping Erin or JandM may know the answer to this please...

When I applied for my first ESV I did not have any formal qualifications. Before I applied for my SMC my employer wanted me to complete a level 4 certificate to further my skills and knowledge for the purpose of the business. I completed and added all relevant details when applying for SMC.

I now need to apply for another ESV as mine expires in July this year. On the employer supplementary form where it says ‘qualifications required’ - do I state in here that as part of my employment I completed a level 4 certificate? As clearly on my first ESV I did not have this qualification.

Just wanting to make sure I get everything correct!

Hope the question makes sense - thank you in advance!

It's tricky for me to advise without knowing the exact details of your situation, but from what you're saying here, the qualification wasn't a requirement for you to secure your job in the first place, so it shouldn't be recorded on the employer supplementary form as a requirement of the role. That question on the form is used to determine whether the visa applicant has the skills required for the role they've been offered/are doing. If a qualification is not a requirement to do the job at the outset, it shouldn't be listed on the form. (From what I can tell, your qualification has been more for your professional development than you needing it to be able to undertake your job..?)

Hi Erin- yes that’s correct it’s more for professional development and to ‘work my way up’ if you like.
    My employer wrote to the Academic Registrar at Open Polytechnic to explain the situation and I was accepted onto the course etc.

So on the employer supplementary form for my new ESV I will just state no formal qualifications required.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    It's tricky for me to advise without knowing the exact details of your situation, but from what you're saying here, the qualification wasn't a requirement for you to secure your job in the first place, so it shouldn't be recorded on the employer supplementary form as a requirement of the role. That question on the form is used to determine whether the visa applicant has the skills required for the role they've been offered/are doing. If a qualification is not a requirement to do the job at the outset, it shouldn't be listed on the form. (From what I can tell, your qualification has been more for your professional development than you needing it to be able to undertake your job..?)
    Does it make a difference if it’s for professional development?
    I claimed points for my SMC with my qualification