Thread: Same Support Documents for Residency and Work Visa?

Default Same Support Documents for Residency and Work Visa?

Hi all,

I am currently on a partner of a New Zealander work visa, which expires 17th July 2020. I just about missed the visa extension by a few days.

I submitted my partner of a New Zealander residence visa on March 23rd. An extra medical report was requested on the 14th of May, which should mean that I was already assigned to a case officer.

Now, there is not much time left to obtain the residence class visa, before my work visa expires - meaning I might have to apply for another work visa soon.
    (Although I only waited for 3 weeks(!!!) to obtain my first work visa. I have high hopes on a fast process this time as well.)

Anyone in a similar situation: did you just use the same documents for the 2nd work visa, that you used for the residence visa?
    I feel like it would be silly to ask all my friends AGAIN to write new support letters. Do you think I can just attach the ones I used a few weeks ago for the residence visa? Could just update the dates on them.

What do you reckon is the last safe day to apply for the 2nd work visa, when the first one expires on 17th July? One week in advance? Two weeks? I want to push it as far out as possible to avoid the extra cost.

Thank you!

As long as you apply for a new work visa while the present one is still valid, in theory even THE DAY before expiry (but I wouldn't quite have the nerve to leave it that late), INZ can issue an interim visa to keep you legal during processing.

In your place, I think I might ask your friends to counter sign their letters, to show they're still valid.

I usually advise people to apply at least 2 weeks in advance - although an Interim visa will cover you from the current visa expiry date until the new visa is finalised, I have seen instances of applications not even being processed within the 6 months an Interim visa is valid for, so better to be on the safe side and not leave it to the last few days of your current visa.

Also, medical certificates are dealt with by a stand-alone health assessment team, so any request for extra medical tests or reports may have come from the health assessment team and not necessarily mean your Residence application has been allocated to a case officer.

In your place, I think I might ask your friends to counter sign their letters, to show they're still valid.

Thatīs a good idea, thank you That is what usually takes the longest though! Running after people to get them to do things.

Also, medical certificates are dealt with by a stand-alone health assessment team, so any request for extra medical tests or reports may have come from the health assessment team and not necessarily mean your Residence application has been allocated to a case officer.

Oooh, that is interesting to know! My hope to get residency approved before my other visa expires did not die yet though. It is only a small one, but I want to stay positive.
    The previous one was ultra fast. Fingers crossed.