Thread: Partnership Evidence - Degree of commitment to a shared life + common household duties

Default Partnership Evidence - Degree of commitment to a shared life + common household duties

Hi there,

I need some suggestions regarding evidence for these 2 factors:

1) The degree of commitment of the parties to a shared life;

2) The performance of common household duties by the partners;

I know that the factors listed in F2.20 are not taxative but I'd like to have everything covered.

We already have evidence for all the other factors such as joint tenancy agreement, join bank account, shared insurance, photos with family, letters from relatives and friends, etc.

But how could I prove the remaining ones?

P.S. We haven't travelled overseas (yet) since we have been working on establishing in NZ and getting residency first.

Hi Unkikonki, I don't know your specific circumstances but the evidence you have listed that you already have are strong, I recommend bills to the same address whether addressed to the both of you or individually. I think you're like most of us, going above and beyond what is potentially required to make sure of a positive outcome.

Joint bank account and shared insurance are both commitment of the parties to a shared life, performance of common household duties is harder to pinpoint what they're after (presume shared bills etc. suffice) but I didn't have any issues when my application was assessed and I didn't have much more than you describe (just some photos together from trips in NZ).

Note that they seem to almost always ask for even more partnership evidence right at the end of the processing for the partnership residence visa (I believe this is less common for partnership work visas), to cover the time since lodgement, just before the visa is granted, they do this to make sure of not issuing a visa to someone whose partnership has ended or is no longer "likely to endure."

Using the search bar in the top right of the forum will return a stack of past threads with info/discussion on potential evidence for partnership visas. Good luck, it's all not as daunting as you think!

Yeah you are probably right. I think it's enough with what I already have, I shouldn't waste my energy trying to cover every single aspect.

That reassurance works better than what I asked for

Thanks hab

P.S. I did search for other threads before posting, I could't find specifically what I was looking for

What I submitted that meets those two is a statement of relationship letter and letters from friends.

Listed our future plans (travel, getting married etc) and described how we are at home (split house chores, alternate laundry / cooking / cleaning chores etc). Also provided chats when we are at work and we talk about what to buy for dinner tonight... oh there’s a PS4 in the marketplace should we but (mutual decisions).

Also had friends attesting genuineness of relationship and mentioned their opinion of how we are as a couple when they visit/or in general.

Shared life also meant (at least for us) sharing payment of bills, mutual goal of saving up for future expenses, etc

Here are some old threads with discussion about partnership evidence, and examples of what other people have used. https://www.google.com/search?source...10.Z6wNQxBjmPY

Notice, Google is more sensitive than using the forum's own Search facility. If you enter <<site:enz.org whatever you're looking for>>, Google scans the threads here.

Is this for residency?

I included WhatsApp/FB chats about mundane things like shopping, who's making dinner, buying items together etc for the duration of our relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Here are some old threads with discussion about partnership evidence, and examples of what other people have used. https://www.google.com/search?source...10.Z6wNQxBjmPY

Notice, Google is more sensitive than using the forum's own Search facility. If you enter <<site:enz.org whatever you're looking for>>, Google scans the threads here.

Good catch. I used to favor the forum's advanced search engine over Google's on the assumption that it was more accurate. My bad

1) The degree of commitment of the parties to a shared life: We showed photos, messages, plane tickets, joint purchases, joint bank account, joint accounts and bills with letters addressed in both our names, and our plans to buy a house together. Also letters from friends and family. I think everything you are already providing shows this.

2) The performance of common household duties by the partners: We just outlined how we did these tasks together or split them in our cover letter, but didn't provide any actual evidence for this point apart from grocery receipts using our joint card. It was fine and we weren't asked to provide other evidence (I don't really know how you would).

Quote Originally Posted by herodias View Post
    1) The degree of commitment of the parties to a shared life: We showed photos, messages, plane tickets, joint purchases, joint bank account, joint accounts and bills with letters addressed in both our names, and our plans to buy a house together. Also letters from friends and family. I think everything you are already providing shows this.
    Yes, although I think photos with friends and family and their letters fit more into "public recognition", whereas joint accounts and bills would be more like "financial interdepence" but I guess there's a bit of overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by herodias View Post
    2) The performance of common household duties by the partners: We just outlined how we did these tasks together or split them in our cover letter, but didn't provide any actual evidence for this point apart from grocery receipts using our joint card. It was fine and we weren't asked to provide other evidence (I don't really know how you would).
    Well, exactly. There hardly is a way to prove those things and a personal description doesn't serve as evidence. The last thing I want is bore the officer with meaningless details. My main intention, apart from proving our relationship of course, is making the officer's job as easy as possible. I'm sure everyone thinks the same. Keep things concise, precise and organised.