Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Change of Circumstances Clarification (Covid-19 Redundancy)

Thanks Larrykiwi. I do believe so too.

Hi Ecilassim,

I will be giving them a call soon. I have not used a LIA or LAwyer thus far as we have been able to handle the applications. Not ruling it out in the future though.

Thanks Erin my wife is a big fan.

It is my understanding from your reply that i can be on a lower pay (less than 25NZD) until say 3 months prior to a case officer looking into my case. at which time i would be required to have 25NZD(Required amount at time of ITA) per hour or higher.

*3 months prior as they would need pay slips.

Quote Originally Posted by YMCheah View Post
    Thanks Erin my wife is a big fan.

It is my understanding from your reply that i can be on a lower pay (less than 25NZD) until say 3 months prior to a case officer looking into my case. at which time i would be required to have 25NZD(Required amount at time of ITA) per hour or higher.

*3 months prior as they would need pay slips.
    I would say even up to the point that you are allocated a case officer would be fine to be earning below $25 per hour - as long as you are earning $25 per hour when the case officer begins their assessment (can be up to 5 days after they are allocated your file). I don't think having payslips that show $25 per hour for the previous 3 months will be applicable in these times, since there are extenuating circumstances which can explain why someone wasn't earning $25 per hour in recent months. There's nothing in instructions that says you have to be earning $25 per hour for 3 months prior to a decision being made on your application - just as long as you are earning the required wage threshold at the time the application is assessed.

Hi there,
    I need some advice on the following;
    Current visa:- Post study work visa open valid till mid 2022
    My SMC lodgement date is 6th Jan 2020 and CO has not been appointed yet. But due to the COVID-19 there is a high risk of redundancy in my current workplace. I have actively started looking for new roles in advance and I have found one (same SM role and job title) but hasn't been finalised yet. My questions are as follows;
    1. Do I qualify for the variations of conditions? (My visa is not tied to my employer)
    2. What is the best way to inform changes? (The INZ website says the drop box in Auckland is closed due to the COVID-19 restrictions)
    3. Does any changes in documentation delays the processing time ?
    4.Would there be any changes to my lodgement date (6th Jan 2020)?(I don't want to go through the ITA process.)

Your responses would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

1. Do I qualify for the variations of conditions? (My visa is not tied to my employer)
    As long as your visa is open (not tied to an employer), you don't need a VOC - there are no conditions to vary.
    2. What is the best way to inform changes? (The INZ website says the drop box in Auckland is closed due to the COVID-19 restrictions)
    Write in, giving all your personal details, date of lodgement of application, and any reference number you may have been given.
    3. Does any changes in documentation delays the processing time ?
    No, because your new information will catch up with the application before a CO has started working the case. When it is allocated to a CO, s/he will simply ignore details of the original employment and look at the new employment instead. (If someone changes employer during processing, it can make things longer because the CO can have already done all the work on the first employment, and have to go through the same process over again for the second.)
    4.Would there be any changes to my lodgement date (6th Jan 2020)?(I don't want to go through the ITA process.)
    No - you're not making a new application, simply changing the details of one already in existence. The ITA for you is a done deal, as long as any changes in your circumstances don't mean that you no longer meet the conditions for applying under SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    I would say even up to the point that you are allocated a case officer would be fine to be earning below $25 per hour - as long as you are earning $25 per hour when the case officer begins their assessment (can be up to 5 days after they are allocated your file). I don't think having payslips that show $25 per hour for the previous 3 months will be applicable in these times, since there are extenuating circumstances which can explain why someone wasn't earning $25 per hour in recent months. There's nothing in instructions that says you have to be earning $25 per hour for 3 months prior to a decision being made on your application - just as long as you are earning the required wage threshold at the time the application is assessed.
    Thank you for the clarification Erin. I understand what you mean as my current workplace is on 80 % till the end of June.

By the way when would be the best time to inform them i have been made redundant? would they give me time to look for a nother job?

Thank you for your time

I think it's always the best option to advise INZ of any material changes (ie. a change which would affect how many points you could claim) as soon as possible (read: within a week or so of the change happening). As for being given time to look for another job - there's no set rules around this. In the past (certainly during my time with INZ, but we're going back 5 years ago now), there was always a bit of leniency and applicants were often given up to 3 months to find a new skilled role. But INZ aren't obliged to offer this and it might come down to how compassionate the case officer is. I guess that's the silver lining of a long queue - with no one looking at your application, you can secure a new job and have it all sorted before a case officer gets to your application. Just need to update the employment agreement & employer supplementary form on your application once the new job offer is signed (and ensure you have the right visa to change roles with before you start a new job!).

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    I think it's always the best option to advise INZ of any material changes (ie. a change which would affect how many points you could claim) as soon as possible (read: within a week or so of the change happening). As for being given time to look for another job - there's no set rules around this. In the past (certainly during my time with INZ, but we're going back 5 years ago now), there was always a bit of leniency and applicants were often given up to 3 months to find a new skilled role. But INZ aren't obliged to offer this and it might come down to how compassionate the case officer is. I guess that's the silver lining of a long queue - with no one looking at your application, you can secure a new job and have it all sorted before a case officer gets to your application. Just need to update the employment agreement & employer supplementary form on your application once the new job offer is signed (and ensure you have the right visa to change roles with before you start a new job!).

Understood. Hopefully they show compasion considering the current circumstances. Thanks again Erin, really appreciate the input and assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    As long as your visa is open (not tied to an employer), you don't need a VOC - there are no conditions to vary.
    Write in, giving all your personal details, date of lodgement of application, and any reference number you may have been given.
    No, because your new information will catch up with the application before a CO has started working the case. When it is allocated to a CO, s/he will simply ignore details of the original employment and look at the new employment instead. (If someone changes employer during processing, it can make things longer because the CO can have already done all the work on the first employment, and have to go through the same process over again for the second.)
    No - you're not making a new application, simply changing the details of one already in existence. The ITA for you is a done deal, as long as any changes in your circumstances don't mean that you no longer meet the conditions for applying under SMC.
    Thanks for the response JandM.

A quick update on my situation. The new employer has requested me to start next month 20th July. My current employer is okay to keep till 16th July.

Can you please advice, what is the best time to inform INZ? After signing the contract immediately or after joining the new organisation on 20th July because it is still a month away.

Also, I am not sure if the new employer will give me the Employer supplementary form (INZ 1235) as soon as I sign the contract next week.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers

EOI Submitted - 06 October 2019
    Lodgement Date - 06 January 2020

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast