Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Clarification for SMC Points

Default Need Clarification for SMC Points

Hello,

I need clarifications on few points listed below. I just want to be on right track before submitting my EOI and SMC application.

I hold a Post study work visa One year and intending to apply for SMC soon. I am also planning to apply for Essential work visa if time runs out while waiting for residence application. Fingers crossed.

I had read the Operational Manual lots of time and a bit confusing so need clarifications on these:-

1. NZ Qualifications- I had a Level 5 completed April 2020. IS this qualified?

According to the Points Indicator for SMC- Recognised Level 4-8 qualification completed before 25 July 2011. OR Any recognised qualification started before 25 July 2011- 2 years or more.

2. Skilled work experience- I qualified for a IQA Level 7 NZQA Bachelor of Pharmacy and was working as a pharmacist in my home country for 9 years i.e post-qualification. In NZ, I am working as a Qualified Pharmacy Technician. I checked the ANZSCO for both different jobs are similar Â…and my Pharmacy qualification obtained could be used for both jobs. Could I be still qualify for the bonus points of 8 years Skilled work experience?

3. NZ work experience- I have more than 1 year NZ work experience but not on my skilled job. IS this qualify 10 points as well?

I should appreciate any help. Thanks.

An NZ Level 5 qualification will be eligible for 40 points. But it won't be eligible for bonus points for a NZ qualification, as per SM8.25.

You can claim points for any work experience obtained after you completed your qualification - both in NZ and overseas.

Any other work experience in NZ for more than 12 months will qualify for points if it was in an occupation at Skill Level 1, 2 or 3, matched the ANZSCO description for the relevant occupation code and you had the relevant qualification or number of years work experience stipulated in the ANZSCO description prior to commencing the work experience.

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    An NZ Level 5 qualification will be eligible for 40 points. But it won't be eligible for bonus points for a NZ qualification, as per SM8.25.

You can claim points for any work experience obtained after you completed your qualification - both in NZ and overseas.

Any other work experience in NZ for more than 12 months will qualify for points if it was in an occupation at Skill Level 1, 2 or 3, matched the ANZSCO description for the relevant occupation code and you had the relevant qualification or number of years work experience stipulated in the ANZSCO description prior to commencing the work experience.
    I appreciate your kind response EGoodhue. Thank you so much for your clear clarification. Regards.

Hi JandM and EGoodhue,

Just another question to ensure I am on the right pathway.

If I meet the points for SMC then I could submit EOI then SMC application.

While waiting for SMC results , Could I also submit Essential Skills Visa? Considering that I meet the INZ criteria.

First step is to submit an EOI. Once that is selected from the Pool (will be if you have 160 points or over) you will be Invited to Apply for Residence. This is the point when you submit all supporting evidence to back up the claims made in your EOI. Current wait time for allocation to a case officer is almost 18 months (and counting), so it's wise to submit an Essential Skills application, if you meet the criteria, as there's no need to meet the labour market test requirements if you've been Invited to Apply or have an application in the queue.

EOI's are not currently being selected from the Pool, but we are expecting an announcement from the Minister as to when these will resume within the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    First step is to submit an EOI. Once that is selected from the Pool (will be if you have 160 points or over) you will be Invited to Apply for Residence. This is the point when you submit all supporting evidence to back up the claims made in your EOI. Current wait time for allocation to a case officer is almost 18 months (and counting), so it's wise to submit an Essential Skills application, if you meet the criteria, as there's no need to meet the labour market test requirements if you've been Invited to Apply or have an application in the queue.

EOI's are not currently being selected from the Pool, but we are expecting an announcement from the Minister as to when these will resume within the next couple of weeks.
    Hi EGoodhue,
    Thank you so much for helping out. Really appreciate.
    Regards

Sorry to jump in @EGoodhue just have a clarification...

OP’s timeline
    Pharmacy degree
    8 yrs of work exp as Pharmacist in home country
    NZ Pharmacy technician qualification 2020
    NZ work experience as Pharmacy technician

The way I understood OP’s post was she was querying if she can claim points for her skilled work experience (is it relevant experience?) then also claim points for NZ qualification which was obtained later. Or only experience gained after getting the NZ degree can be used to claim points...

Can she use the level 7 degree as the qualification in the EOI and can she claim all of her work experience (mixed pharmacist and pharmacy technician roles)?

And also OP, pharmacy technician may also be considered a skilled job under SMC if it meets the requirements (salary, ANZSCO levels 1-3)... source: https://skillshortages.immigration.g...cy-technician/ it’s not an unskilled job.
    Last edited by allune; 7th June 2020 at 11:04 PM.

So, the way I would assess the 2 periods of work experience:

Pharmacist in home country for 9 years
    In an occupation which matched a Skill Level 1, 2 or 3 occupation?: Yes, matched 251513 (Skill Level 1)
    Held the relevant qual or work experience as specified by the ANZSCO prior to the work experience (L7 or 5 years)?: Yes, held a qual comparable to NZ Level 7

Pharmacy Technician in NZ
    In an occupation which matched a Skill Level 1, 2 or 3 occupation?: Yes, matched 311215 (Skill Level 2)
    Held the relevant qual or work experience as specified by the ANZSCO prior to the work experience (L4 or 3 years)?: Yes, holds a L7 and L5 qual, plus has 9 years of relevant prior experience

So the points for a qualification are completely stand-alone to the points for work experience. The qualification could have been in a completely different subject area, and points could still be claimed for it.

@EGoodhue perfect <3

Thanks for doing all these for free here... wishing you the best on your final <3

Hi JandM or EGoodhue,

Could you kindly explain more on this Question for SMC EOI- If you are paid on a per activity basis, what was your total remuneration in New Zealand dollars for a previous 2 year period in New Zealand in this job?

-paid on a per activity basis?? Sorry but I am confused.

Please know that I really appreciate your works and kind responses over the past.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast