Thread: Has anyone used the 'Request to Travel' form from INZ?

Default Has anyone used the 'Request to Travel' form from INZ?

Essentially has anyone got through the 'Closed Border' of NZ at the moment?

I've only just started looking as there has been a sever lack of flights, but now that they are seemingly starting up again, I'd quite like to be united with my wife!
    When the closure was first announced, I thought it was clear that work visa holders were not qualified for exemption, but that looks to have changed now that work visa holders are allowed to request exemption.
    Which suits my situation, as we are work visa holders now and will soon be applying for PR.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...and-exceptions
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/form...to-new-zealand

I see they give you about 3000 characters (1 side of A4) to write an mini essay on why you should be allowed to travel, anyone got any advice for this?
    Also, the turnaround time on getting this looked at approved, and if there is a time period for its approval?

Thanks!

It is certainly difficult to write a compelling case for why you need to be back in NZ with only 3,000 characters, so you want to make your point strongly in as few words as possible. I would stick to words that demonstrate a real need to be in NZ, rather than a desire to be here. INZ are being super-strict on these exemptions, with less than 20% of all requests made being granted permission to come in. Use emotive language, but not 'over the top'.

You'll hear back from INZ as to whether or not you've been invited to apply for an exemption within 3 days. If you're lucky enough to be invited to apply, your application for an exemption will be processed in under a week (based on my experience of the process around a month ago, as a licensed adviser acting on behalf of a client).

Thank you for the advice.

I'll put something together soon and apply, we can then firm up looking at flights hopefully.
    It is hard as my wife currently isn't employed in NZ, but was working on a part time basis for herself to a very small degree. Currently all I can think of are desires to be in NZ! But obvious ones like a husband, a car, an upcoming visa application, wanting to start a family here asap etc.

I hope coming from a low risk country and us now at Level1 and us having space to self isolate effectively can be advantageous!