Thread: Partner's resident to Permanent Resident Conversion.

Default Partner's resident to Permanent Resident Conversion.

Hi All,

I'm a resident here since July 2019. My partner got her work visa approved a week ago for 1 year. She will be eligible for her residence visa in Feb 2020 as that's when I can show minimum proof of 1 year living together. My question is when I become eligible for my permanent residency in July 2021, will my partner automatically become permanent resident in July along with me or she should wait for 2 years from attaining the residency to become permanent resident? Can you please clarify.

also

My partners current work visa expires in June 2021. As I already said she will be eligible for residency in Feb 2021. Considering if I apply for her residency in Feb 2021, presuming it will not be granted within 3 months, Should I apply for another work visa ? or Can I request the case officer who approved her visa for the extension stating the same? Can someone please clarify.

Thanks.

Your partner wasn't on your application for residence, so no, she can't be granted PR when you get yours. She will have to qualify for PR in her own right no earlier than two years after she gets residence.

She will have to apply for another work visa to keep her legal while waiting for her residence application to be dealt with. INZ can issue an interim visa for a temporary visa application, but not for residence.