Thread: Citizen having to provide certified copy of passport for work?

Default Citizen having to provide certified copy of passport for work?

Apologies if wrong forum - feel free to move.

My partner is a New Zealand citizen and works for a small business which is a registered NZ company. The business apparently needs to prove that they employ a certain number of kiwis in order to operate, or in order to be allowed to employ foreign workers... not sure on these details exactly. Anyway, they have told her that she needs to provide a certified copy of her passport for them to include with whatever documentation they need to send to immigration.

This seems silly to me, as far as I'm aware an employer only needs to ensure they are employing workers who have the legal right to work in NZ. Surely a citizen doesn't have to prove anything? In any case I thought a photocopy of a passport would be enough.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what may be the situation here?

My employer requires this every time someone starts a new role. Even if they already work there and have previously supplied said evidence, whether related to citizenship or residency or a work permit. It's mental. But not unique to your partner.

To become an accredited employer:

“any other documents you think show that you’re committed to training and employing New Zealanders.”

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...employer/apply