Thread: Secondment while in SMC queue

Default Secondment while in SMC queue

I am currently on a Talent Accredited employer work visa expiring April 2021. I have lodged my residency application via SMC route on 1 May 2019, but am stuck in the non-priority queue.
    If there was a secondment opportunity at my work that is not a permanent move but will allow me to earn the required salary to be seen as a priority for my SMC application will they consider to move me to the priority queue even if the secondment is not permanent?

This is a really good question. I've just been through the process of requesting prioritisation for a client of mine whose salary change would mean they would be eligible for moving across to the priority queue - but INZ are being so stubborn about it and are literally making up rules that don't exist to try and prevent him from going into the priority queue! (You wouldn't even believe half the stuff I see INZ making up on a daily basis....).

In terms of a secondment, I doubt INZ would count that as meeting the criteria for prioritisation, based on what I've seen recently and the fact that you'd be making the request on the basis of a role that's not your substantive role or the role you're wanting to be assessed under for skilled employment (since it wouldn't meet the criteria of 'ongoing'). But, in all honesty, you've got nothing to lose by making a request and testing the waters. The worst that can happen is that they say 'No' and you stay in the queue where you are right now...no harm done.

Thank you for the reply Erin, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    This is a really good question. I've just been through the process of requesting prioritisation for a client of mine whose salary change would mean they would be eligible for moving across to the priority queue - but INZ are being so stubborn about it and are literally making up rules that don't exist to try and prevent him from going into the priority queue! (You wouldn't even believe half the stuff I see INZ making up on a daily basis....).

In terms of a secondment, I doubt INZ would count that as meeting the criteria for prioritisation, based on what I've seen recently and the fact that you'd be making the request on the basis of a role that's not your substantive role or the role you're wanting to be assessed under for skilled employment (since it wouldn't meet the criteria of 'ongoing'). But, in all honesty, you've got nothing to lose by making a request and testing the waters. The worst that can happen is that they say 'No' and you stay in the queue where you are right now...no harm done.
    Hi Erin, would I be eligible to apply for variation of conditions for my Essential work visa if I was to be seconded to a higher paying role? Or Do I even have to notify INZ about the secondment?

Is the higher-paying role still with the same skill-set that the ESV was granted for?

No... im currently an EA but possibly a chance to become a project coordinator?

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...c-are-changing