Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Processing time for residence to permanent residence (on-shore processing)?

Default Processing time for residence to permanent residence (on-shore processing)?

Hi all,

I'm feeling a bit nervous about my husband's wait-time for applying for PR (from residence visa) and hoping for some reassurance! My rational brain tells me that these things will all be taking much longer due to Covid backlog, but the INZ website still says most of these are being processed within 11 days (and 50% within 7 days). I realize the processing times haven't been updated since June...

We had the fee charged to the credit card on May 28, so it's been over a month since they received the application.

Has anyone else applied for PR since Covid hit, and would you mind sharing how long you waited?

Background - I'm Australian and applied for PR last October, got granted it within about five days. Husband was eligible in April but we had to wait for the offices to open before sending his application in. His travel conditions have expired but we're not going anywhere anytime soon, so we sent the original passport in with the application.

My anxiety-driven brain is wondering if they will be pausing on his application because he had publicly-funded elective surgery last year and maybe they're assessing whether he would be a burden to the health system? Or is that not a thing for residence to permanent residence apps?

The INZ website say 90% of PR applications are completed within 63 days at the moment.

There's no health requirements for PR.

I sent my PR application on 26 May 2020. Money deducted and email from INZ on 3 June 2020.
    Got approval email on 1 July 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by nzgeek View Post
    I sent my PR application on 26 May 2020. Money deducted and email from INZ on 3 June 2020.
    Got approval email on 1 July 2020.
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! We got an email today with a tracking number which I assume means the passport is on its way back. However, the fact that we didn't also get an email saying the PR has been approved has made me nervous. I think actually Covid19 has just made me generally nervous and I'm fixating on this even though it's probably all fine? Anyway, the package arrives tomorrow so I guess we'll know either way then...

I'm wondering if you got email approval because you applied online? We applied by paper/sent the passport with the application.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicPizza View Post
    The INZ website say 90% of PR applications are completed within 63 days at the moment.

There's no health requirements for PR.
    Thank you!

As MagicPizza says, there's no health requirement for PR. (Think about it - the residence visa on its own gives the right to live and work in NZ for life, no ifs and buts, and it also gives you the right to use the NZ Health Service. So if any medical condition shows up AFTER someone becomes a resident, it can't be made a problem. The only reason PR doesn't automatically follow on for SOME people is if their character doesn't check out in the time since they got residence (same character requirements as for residence)).

Quote Originally Posted by midwesttonz View Post
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! We got an email today with a tracking number which I assume means the passport is on its way back. However, the fact that we didn't also get an email saying the PR has been approved has made me nervous. I think actually Covid19 has just made me generally nervous and I'm fixating on this even though it's probably all fine? Anyway, the package arrives tomorrow so I guess we'll know either way then...

I'm wondering if you got email approval because you applied online? We applied by paper/sent the passport with the application.
    I am pretty sure they are just sending your passport back and you are not going to get your approved PR with it, that's what happen with me.
    I also got an email with tracking number and when I opened the package there was just my passport and then after few days I got approval email with e-visa attached.
    You will surely get an email again in few days with your approved PR letter. I also applied by paper application and sent my passport with that.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by nzgeek View Post
    I am pretty sure they are just sending your passport back and you are not going to get your approved PR with it, that's what happen with me.
    I also got an email with tracking number and when I opened the package there was just my passport and then after few days I got approval email with e-visa attached.
    You will surely get an email again in few days with your approved PR letter. I also applied by paper application and sent my passport with that.

Hope this helps.
    Oh I am SO grateful you told me this, because otherwise I would definitely have been panicking to receive the blank passport. Thanks so much to you and others for chiming in!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    As MagicPizza says, there's no health requirement for PR. (Think about it - the residence visa on its own gives the right to live and work in NZ for life, no ifs and buts, and it also gives you the right to use the NZ Health Service. So if any medical condition shows up AFTER someone becomes a resident, it can't be made a problem. The only reason PR doesn't automatically follow on for SOME people is if their character doesn't check out in the time since they got residence (same character requirements as for residence)).

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain, really appreciate it! You've all put my mind at ease (definitely no character issues )

All applications for a Permanent Resident Visa are paper applications.

All approvals will be via email, as INZ now issues eVisas for all visa types (if you want a physical visa label, this is a separate process that you can only go through once you have received your eVisa letter).

We got an email today with a tracking number which I assume means the passport is on its way back.
    This is highly likely to be the case. As INZ is not going to put a physical visa label in your passport (unless you specifically request this after your Permanent Resident Visa is granted), they have little reason to hold on to your passport once they've sighted it and scanned it into their system (unless there are concerns with the validity/genuineness/etc. of the passport itself), and since it's not uncommon for applicants to require their passports for other purposes, INZ will therefore send it back to you while they continue processing your application.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast