Thread: Extension of Temporary Visa

Default Extension of Temporary Visa

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...-by-six-months

Temporary Visa extended up to February 2021.
    Future visa renewal will be only 6 months instead of the usual 12 months.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamnz2019 View Post
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...-by-six-months

Temporary Visa extended up to February 2021.

What are your thoughts?
    I've got an Essential Skills application submitted with INZ and my head hurts... Is it a 6 month extension from the end of our current visas?

Just waiting on the announcement from INZ so that I can submit a refund request...

I'm on a Partner of a Worker Work Visa. If I understand correctly, this means that I'm not eligible for an extension because my visa is not "employer assisted"? 0_o

That doesn't make much sense imo. My SMC application is still based on my employment with a NZ employer.

I really need to know if this applies to Post Study Work Visas - Employer Assisted. I never changed it to open or applied for variation conditions. If someone knows please help and confirm.

Here's the official release from INZ. Some snippets within to answer certain questions within this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by dreamnz2019 View Post
    This is only for Essential Skills Work Visas where the job is assessed as low-skilled.

However, other changes are coming that may affect you...

From 27 July, we will start using a simple remuneration threshold to determine whether a job is lower-paid or higher paid. This means if you apply for a work visa for a job that pays below the median wage, your employer will need to include a Skills Match Report (SMR) from MSD. Your visa duration will be dependent on whether you will be paid above or below the national median wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanco View Post
    I'm on a Partner of a Worker Work Visa. If I understand correctly, this means that I'm not eligible for an extension because my visa is not "employer assisted"? 0_o

That doesn't make much sense imo. My SMC application is still based on my employment with a NZ employer.
    Correct.

If you have supported a partner or dependent child and they have a visa based on their relationship with you, their visa expiry date will not be extended. They will need to apply for a new visa.

To me, it makes sense, considering one of INZ's stated aims is to "provide migrants with more certainty about their work situation in the short term". In the short term, you are provided more certainty by your partner receiving a Work Visa extension (since your Work Visa is dependent on your relationship with your partner), and long term certainty will be provided if you are successful with your SMC application.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim1602 View Post
    I really need to know if this applies to Post Study Work Visas - Employer Assisted. I never changed it to open or applied for variation conditions. If someone knows please help and confirm.
    From the title of the visa, I would expect it would apply.

INZ states that you (or your advisor if they are listed as your contact) will receive an email from Immigration New Zealand confirming your visa extension by Tuesday 14 July.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 7th July 2020 at 07:37 PM.

Sorry, missed one:

Quote Originally Posted by JHadders View Post
    I've got an Essential Skills application submitted with INZ and my head hurts... Is it a 6 month extension from the end of our current visas?
    6 months from the end of your current visa, if (and only if) you are in New Zealand on 10 July 2020, and your visa is due to expire before 31 December 2020. This includes visas that are due to expire after 9 July, and visas that were previously extended to 25 September under the Epidemic Management Notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    Sorry, missed one:

6 months from the end of your current visa, if (and only if) you are in New Zealand on 10 July 2020, and your visa is due to expire before 31 December 2020. This includes visas that are due to expire after 9 July, and visas that were previously extended to 25 September under the Epidemic Management Notice.
    Cheers Kelerei, looks like I'll be submitting a request for a refund then as mine will now expire in March 2021 (heaven forbid , please, 2 years after submission I finally get residency!)

Anyone know where to submit a refund request for online submissions?!

Quote Originally Posted by JHadders View Post
    Anyone know where to submit a refund request for online submissions?!
    Here you go:
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...f-interest-fee

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    Thanks Kelerei! I was wondering if there was anywhere online I could submit, but I'll add it to my application as well just in case.

[/QUOTE] From the title of the visa, I would expect it would apply.

INZ states that you (or your advisor if they are listed as your contact) will receive an email from Immigration New Zealand confirming your visa extension by Tuesday 14 July.[/QUOTE]

My LIA contacted INZ and they told her " work visas issued under the study to work instructions (i.e. post-study work visas) are not included in ‘employer-assisted’ work visas. This means that your current work visa will not be extended and you will need to submit a new work visa application prior to the expiry of your current visa."

This makes no sense when the title said "employer-assisted" why won't this be extended??