Thread: IQA query for Residency application

Default IQA query for Residency application

Hi all,

My wife holds a degree in Marketing and Advertising from Leeds Beckett University (UK). We have been told that because this is not on the exemption list that it would need to be assessed by NZQA. Seems like IQA is the route we'd need to go down.

What we would like to know is how far in advance should we reasonably look into having her degree assessed? We'd hate to find ourselves in a position where she cannot qualify for the points needed for a Residency application when we're already in NZ. Is this the sort of thing that can reasonably be assessed prior to even a work visa, just to do our best to limit risk before a move over?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adt1987 View Post
    My wife holds a degree in Marketing and Advertising from Leeds Beckett University (UK). We have been told that because this is not on the exemption list that it would need to be assessed by NZQA. Seems like IQA is the route we'd need to go down.
    An International Qualifications Assessment (IQA) is definitely the route you need to go down (assuming that your end goal is the Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa). While you can submit a Pre-Assessment Result (PAR) with your application, the IQA is absolutely required for an immigration officer to determine whether your qualification will qualify for SMC points (SM8.15(b)), and I therefore am of the personal opinion that there's no point even bothering with the PAR.

Quote Originally Posted by adt1987 View Post
    What we would like to know is how far in advance should we reasonably look into having her degree assessed? We'd hate to find ourselves in a position where she cannot qualify for the points needed for a Residency application when we're already in NZ. Is this the sort of thing that can reasonably be assessed prior to even a work visa, just to do our best to limit risk before a move over?
    There appears to be no time limit on the IQA's validity, so "as soon as is reasonably convenient" is probably the answer you seek. I had mine done before I'd even applied for my "look, see, decide" Visitor Visa, and it was 13 months old at the time I lodged my Resident Visa application.

Interestingly enough, I needed a second IQA done. The NZQA, in their IQA result letter, put in the wrong year of completion of studies (they mistakenly put in the year I started my studies!), which I missed, and my LIA missed, but the immigration officer assigned to my application picked up the discrepancy between my degree certificate and the NZQA letter immediately. NZQA, to their credit, corrected their mistake at no additional charge, and this satisfied INZ. The lesson to be learned here: double-check your result from NZQA when you receive it!
    Last edited by Kelerei; 8th July 2020 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful!

I queried the 'life' of IQAs with INZ some years ago, and the answer came that SOME IQAs had a 'valid until' date on them. INZ would take notice of such a date if it was there. That was literally years ago, however, so maybe the kind of certificate issued has changed.

Just went back and checked my IQA letter -- no mention of any "valid until" date anywhere on it.

Thank you again! Much appreciated.