Thread: Nz citizenship

Default Nz citizenship

Hi I am having query and need to know should I count 5 years period from the day when I received letter from immigration saying- They have approved my residency application as it was done on 8 August 2015
    But they put my residency sticker visa on passport at 15 September 2015?

Please advise JandM and other experts too please thanks

Were you in NZ or overseas at the time of your residence application? If overseas, when did you arrive in NZ?

Thank you. I got residency approval letter when I was already here in NZ

It sounds like the letter you got was "approval in principle" which is not yet actually getting residence. I am guessing that 15 September 2015 is in the "start date" that appears in the upper left corner of your visa label. The "start date," whatever that is for you, is the date you should be using.

I agree.

Oh I applied online citizenship on the basis of approved in principle residency letter. Wt should I do now as on the date of residency sticker visa on passport I am not eligible yet. Plz advise me thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dipa View Post
    Oh I applied online citizenship on the basis of approved in principle residency letter. Wt should I do now as on the date of residency sticker visa on passport I am not eligible yet. Plz advise me thank you
    The Citizenship Office will write to you to explain your options if you do not clearly meet the requirements for the grant of New Zealand citizenship. The options that will be offered will be determined on a case by case basis, but one option will always be to withdraw your application (and receive a partial refund).

For obvious reasons, I do not know whether you will receive such a letter, what options may be presented to you, or what course of action you should take -- this will be a matter for you to decide if you receive such a letter. However, it is stated on the paper application form: "Generally, we will recommend that you withdraw and re-apply when you clearly meet all of the requirements (you will be advised of all your options by letter)".

It may also be worth keeping in mind that the Minister of Internal Affairs may grant New Zealand citizenship to someone who does not meet all the requirements, but this is a rare event that is very difficult to attain, and you would need to prove to a citizenship case officer that your situation is exceptional.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 12th July 2020 at 10:23 PM.

if you haven't left the country since 15/09/2019, you already have done 240 days of the 5th year of residency so you should be fine.

I got my residency sticker on the 03/09/2015, but from 03/09/2019 until now I have spent 90 days away so I'm waiting two more weeks to reach 240 days and then apply.