Thread: New Zealand Dependent Visitors Visa Custody Issue

Default New Zealand Dependent Visitors Visa Custody Issue

Hi All,
    I'm writing in behalf of a friend, and I'm hoping that someone out there will have the same situation.

How can a New zealand Resident visa holder apply for a visitor visa for a child whose parents were separated ten years ago. Will the immigration required some sort of custody papers if it is only a visitors visa? Can a statutory declaration of other parents sufficient enough? Obtaining a court order from original country of the 13 year old child will take years and cost too much.

Thanks

Hi @dreamnz2019

Is your friend Filipino?

Here's a custody matrix released by the Immigration New Zealand last year: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...r-16-years.pdf

It would depend if your NZ resident friend is the mother or the father.

In a family friend's case because the father is the NZ resident, they waited for the child to become 18 years old. They could have applied when the child turned 16 but they waited until child finished high school.

There's a paragraph on the Child of a New Zealander Visitor Visa factsheet that states: "If your children are travelling alone or with one parent, we may ask for evidence they have the right to leave their country of residence, eg custody or guardianship papers."

I haven't been able to find the corresponding immigration instructions in the operational manual as of yet, but they'll be there surely -- will post when I find them.

Think I found the relevant section in immigration instructions: E4.1.15.

Special thanks to @allune and @kelerei for responding to my queries. You always provided us with a valuable inputs. This will be very helpful for my friend who keeps worrying to be united to her kids.

I been in this forum and more than two years and it helps me with the step by step plans of how to be successful in visa applications.
    JandM and Egoodhue and to all other contributors to this forum, keep up the good work...you are all amazing ... keep guiding us and you are all changing our lives for the better life here in New Zealand.