Thread: LTSSL - Work Experience and Education Requirements for SMC

Default LTSSL - Work Experience and Education Requirements for SMC

Hi all

Hoping someone can assist me and clear my doubts.

I had done my bachelors in Finance/Accounting back in 2012.

I came to NZ in 2017 and did a 1 year course in GradDip Computing (IT) and after completing studies I landed a job & have been working in a IT field since last 2.5 years and ongoing and https://skillshortages.immigration.g...iness-analyst/ closely defines the work I do and this falls under LTSSL.

I am planning to file for SMC by year end and realised I wont be able to claim the LTSSL points as I dont qualify for it as I dont have a 3 year bachelors degree in computer science criteria mentioned in https://skillshortages.immigration.g...rtage-list.pdf

But it also says

"- A qualification comparable to NZQF Level 7 or higher, with a letter from
    IT Professionals New Zealand certifying that the applicant’s degree and
    any further learning meet the educational requirements towards
    Chartered IT Professional New Zealand(ITPNZ) status
    AND
    a minimum of three years' relevant post-qualification work experience"

So does the 1 year IT-NZQF level 7 degree and letter from ITPNZ with the help of this 1 year Level 7 course and 3 year post qualification IT-work experience help me qualify for the LTSSL ?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Rocki; 30th July 2020 at 02:01 PM.

Notice that under qualifications for "ICT Business Analyst" (ANZSCO code 261111) on the LTSSL, the statement "One of the following" is made before listing the qualifications that are considered -- so the reasonable interpretation (that anyone with a decent grasp of the English language can make!) is therefore: if one has a NZQF Level 7 qualification (for qualifications obtained outside New Zealand, an International Qualifications Assessment is required to determine this), and an ITPNZ letter stating that the same NZQF Level 7 qualification meets the educational requirements towards Chartered IT Professional New Zealand status, the qualification requirement for ICT Business Analyst as listed on the LTSSL is met.

The 3 years work experience, coming after the "AND", is an absolute requirement: you must satisfy both the qualifications and work experience requirements to meet any relevant LTSSL eligibility criteria.

Hi Kelerei,

Thanks for replying

So you're sayng it should be okay to apply under the LTSSL under the mentioned scenario & once I complete the 3 years work expereince.

And yes I will complete the relevent 3 years work exp and only then will apply for under LTSSL which will be later this year.

Do you need to claim bonus points under LTSSL? If not and if you have enough points for SMC without the LTSSL bonus points, why wait?

Yes. I am falling short of 10 points. Hence I am trying to claim under the LTSSL and gain an extra 10 points.

Hence I was waiting for 3 years to complete this year and as mentioned under the education requirements claim the extra 10 points.

Therefore was trying to get some clarification around this and the process of getting the letter from ITPNZ