Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Resident to Permanent Residence

Can you apply straight from Resident to citizen, rather than the usual Resident to PR to Citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by andrae View Post
    Can you apply straight from Resident to citizen, rather than the usual Resident to PR to Citizen?
    Yes. Section 8 of the Citizenship Act 1977 requires you to be entitled in terms of the Immigration Act 2009 to be in New Zealand indefinitely, and holding any residence class visa meets this requirement (Section 73 for a Permanent Resident Visa, Section 74 for other resident class visas).

It would be unusual though, because most Resident Visa holders would want to travel and would rather attain a Permanent Resident Visa than worry about renewing travel conditions.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 8th December 2021 at 05:38 PM.

Hi Kelerei,
    Thanks for your prompt response.
    We've been here in NZ nearly 7 years and we only renewed our RV to go for holiday 2019-20 Dec-Jan (before covid....deep breath).The reason I asked is paying the PRV then paying again for Citizen, plus the timeline combining the 2 and it would take ages. We have submitted ours this year and I dont mind waiting. My family has no plans going overseas and until this pandemic settled a bit.

Appreciated K for your help.

Hi,
    I needed a character waiver due to a conditional discharge received in the UK for my partnership residency. Was granted once more info was provided. My application is now in for permanent residency, has anyone heard of a character waiver being declined for permanent residency after it being granted in the previous residency application. Am very on edge as am now married to my partner and we have our beautiful son who is about to turn one !

Quote Originally Posted by Sophsbruvs View Post
    Hi,
    I needed a character waiver due to a conditional discharge received in the UK for my partnership residency. Was granted once more info was provided. My application is now in for permanent residency, has anyone heard of a character waiver being declined for permanent residency after it being granted in the previous residency application. Am very on edge as am now married to my partner and we have our beautiful son who is about to turn one !
    No, I haven't. I think you're bound to feel anxious (normal state while having an application in to INZ), but some historic action which has already been 'passed' isn't likely to trip you up at this late stage. You may well find that you're asked to supply the information all over again (as it will be a different official processing your case, and they have to take responsibility for investigating every aspect, and won't necessarily just rely on what the official did for your previous visa), but that wouldn't mean there's any NEW concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophsbruvs View Post
    Hi,
    I went through a character waiver process for my RV which was approved. They didnít bring the issue back up again for my PR application .

Hey guys, I just sent in my resident to permanent resident application after being in NZ for two years. Pretty straightforward application. :-)

Any idea how long these applications take to be approved these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanco View Post
    Any idea how long these applications take to be approved these days?
    Latest timeframe published by INZ was that 90% of applications were being processed within 5 months, but that figure was current as of 1 August 2022 and is surely out of date by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    Latest timeframe published by INZ was that 90% of applications were being processed within 5 months, but that figure was current as of 1 August 2022 and is surely out of date by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanco View Post
    Took less than a month for me in September (at least judging by the information request) approved for PR on a specific day but they only have communicated the result after a week.

Just under 1 month for a friend in October.

Both of us used meeting presence in NZ requirement to justify our application for PR.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 ... LastLast