Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 21222324 LastLast

Thread: Resident to Permanent Residence

Thanks, Kelerei I have replied to the email.

Thanks, JandM, You and this whole community have always been very helpful

All the best for your NZ future.

Anyone know recent (onshore) processing times?

I'm eligible to apply after the 19th of November, but need to travel end of January 2024. Concerned about how long it will take to process the PR application and if it would be approved before I have to travel. I'm assuming INZ does a Christmas shutdown of sorts?
    Would I be better off just applying for a travel conditions extension now? Is it likely they would still process it as a PR application?

Currently, 90% of applications for a Permanent Resident Visa are processed in 30 working days -- given that INZ does have a Christmas shutdown, this may be too close for comfort for you. 90% of applications for a variation of travel conditions are processed in 18 working days; these are generally quicker as they do not require a character check (whereas the Permanent Resident Visa does).

If you apply for a variation of travel conditions, INZ may grant you a Permanent Resident Visa instead if you meet the requirements (and vice versa), if you give them permission to do this on the application form: there is a specific question that asks you this. I can't find the post now, but I do remember someone on this forum who applied for a variation of travel conditions before being eligible for a Permanent Resident Visa, consequently became eligble for a Permanent Resident Visa while the application for a variation of travel conditions was still being processed, and subsequently asked INZ if they would consider the grant of a Permanent Resident Visa instead: INZ granted the Permanent Resident Visa. If INZ doesn't consider such a request, this would likely not be too much of a problem at the end of the day: upon the grant of a variation of travel conditions, you would be able to travel and return to New Zealand as a resident, and apply for a Permanent Resident Visa later.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 2nd October 2023 at 01:13 PM.

hmmm suspected as much. I will just apply for the variation of travel conditions then and see what happens.
    Thanks!

Default Does requirement of holding Resident Visa for at least 2 years before PR application is lodged applicable only to principal applicant?

Wishing everyone here a wonderful and fulfilling 2024!

I would like to find out whether a principal applicant (father) is eligible to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa for himself and his 2 dependent children (named in the original RV application) if he has held his Resident Visa for 2 years while one of the secondary applicants (son) has held his Resident Visa for more than 1 year but less than 2 years, provided all other criteria (character, commitment to NZ) have been met.

Context: My Resident Visa application was lodged overseas. My daughter and I activated ours when we arrived in New Zealand in February 2023 while my son activated his Resident Visa only when he arrived in 27 December 2023. By February 2025, me and my daughter would have held our Resident Visas for 2 years, while my son would have held his for more than a year but less than 2 years.

Assuming I meet all the other criteria for a Permanent Resident Visa (character, commitment to New Zealand), can I as the principal applicant apply for Permanent Resident Visa for me, my daughter and son in February 2025 when I, as the principal applicant have held the Resident Visa for 2 years, even if my son has held his Resident Visa for more than a year but less than 2 years?

Any inputs or insights on this would be deeply appreciated. Thanks and all the very best for 2024.

Cheers.
    Last edited by morpheus; 2nd January 2024 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    Wishing everyone here a wonderful and fulfilling 2024!

I would like to find out whether a principal applicant (father) is eligible to apply for a Permanent Resident Visa for himself and his 2 dependent children (named in the original RV application) if he has held his Resident Visa for 2 years while one of the secondary applicants (son) has held his Resident Visa for more than 1 year but less than 2 years, provided all other criteria (character, commitment to NZ) have been met.

Context: My Resident Visa application was lodged overseas. My daughter and I activated ours when we arrived in New Zealand in February 2023 while my son activated his Resident Visa only when he arrived in 27 December 2023. By February 2025, me and my daughter would have held our Resident Visas for 2 years, while my son would have held his for more than a year but less than 2 years.

Assuming I meet all the other criteria for a Permanent Resident Visa (character, commitment to New Zealand), can I as the principal applicant apply for Permanent Resident Visa for me, my daughter and son in February 2025 when I, as the principal applicant have held the Resident Visa for 2 years, even if my son has held his Resident Visa for more than a year but less than 2 years?

Any inputs or insights on this would be deeply appreciated. Thanks and all the very best for 2024.

Cheers.
    Generally, the only requirement for secondary applicants in the original residence application to be granted a Permanent Resident Visa is that the principal applicant in the original residence application is granted, or holds, a Permanent Resident Visa. However, there are circumstances where this does not apply, and where the secondary applicant may need to be assessed independently and meet the standard requirements to be granted a Permanent Resident Visa in their own right. See RV1.20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    Generally, the only requirement for secondary applicants in the original residence application to be granted a Permanent Resident Visa is that the principal applicant in the original residence application is granted, or holds, a Permanent Resident Visa. However, there are circumstances where this does not apply, and where the secondary applicant may need to be assessed independently and meet the standard requirements to be granted a Permanent Resident Visa in their own right. See RV1.20.
    Many thanks Kelerei for providing most helpful information and the link to RV1.20.

Based on our current and forseeable situation, it does not appear that my 2 dependent children may need to be assessed independently as per RV1.20.5.

Cheers.

Sorry, got a few questions.

Anyone got insight into "Question 3" on INZ1175? Applying for PRV and not "Variation of travel conditions."
    Part A: Resident visa holders

3. Have you met any conditions imposed under section 49(1) of the Immigration Act 2009?
    Yes Go to question 4
    No Complete Section F: Variation of travel conditions

Note: For more information, refer to the section ‘What are section 49(1) conditions?’ in the Guide for Resident or Former Resident Visa
    Holders (INZ 1176)

4. Have you met one of the five following criteria to show a commitment to New Zealand?
    a. Time spent in New Zealand d. Business established in New Zealand
    b. Tax residence status e. Base established in New Zealand
    c. Investment in New Zealand

Yes Complete Section E: Permanent resident visa
    No Complete Section F: Variation of travel conditions

Note: For details about meeting these requirements, see the section ‘Requirements for a permanent resident visa’ in the Guide for Resident
    or Former Resident Visa Holders (INZ 1176).
    I have no Section 49(1) conditions. So is it more like, "if", the conditions were imposed, the applicant met those conditions? Unless you check "Yes", you cant answer "Question 4" and are asked to fill "Section F."

Also do we need to send a prepaid courier bag and passport with the PRV application?

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 21222324 LastLast