Thread: timeline for 5 years child citizenship after resident visa

Default timeline for 5 years child citizenship after resident visa

Greetings from my side I just want to know what is the timeline of 5 years child citizenship after resident visa .will it be the same time frame as parents needs to complete 5 years ???

Quote Originally Posted by Agam13c View Post
    Greetings from my side I just want to know what is the timeline of 5 years child citizenship after resident visa .will it be the same time frame as parents needs to complete 5 years ???
    Please refer the below link the requirements

https://www.govt.nz/browse/passports...youre-a-child/

As my son came in August 2017 in nz on visitor visa and we all got resident visa in november 2019 .my son alreadry compleated 8 months on resident visa so is he elligible to apply citizenship now total time in nz almost 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Agam13c View Post
    As my son came in August 2017 in nz on visitor visa and we all got resident visa in november 2019 .my son alreadry compleated 8 months on resident visa so is he elligible to apply citizenship now total time in nz almost 3 years
    You may apply for New Zealand citizenship by grant once you meet the following requirements:

• Entitled to reside indefinitely: you are entitled in terms of the Immigration Act 2009 to be in New Zealand indefinitely (in other words, you hold a residence class visa).
    • Presence: you were present in New Zealand, with the right to remain indefinitely, for a minimum of 1,350 days in the five years preceding the citizenship application and for at least 240 days in each of those five years. Note therefore that time spent in New Zealand on a temporary entry class visa cannot, and will not be considered when ascertaining whether or not you meet the presence requirement.
    • Character: you are of good character.
    • Responsibilities and privileges: you have enough knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship.
    • Language: you have sufficient knowledge of the English language.
    • Intention to reside: you intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to live in New Zealand.
    • Full capacity: you are not of unsound mind.

If you were granted residence for the first time in November 2019, and assuming that you were in New Zealand when residence was granted, the earliest you will meet the presence requirement (assuming a best-case scenario of no time spent outside New Zealand) is July 2024. Any time spent outside of New Zealand may push this date further out.

Your child, if aged 16 and above at the time of application, must meet all of the standard requirements above.

Your child, if aged 15 and below at the time of application, is exempt from the presence requirement if either of these situations apply:

• a parent is applying at the same time who meets the standard presence requirement, or
    • one of their parents is already a New Zealand citizen.

Your child aged 15 or under must still be entitled to remain in New Zealand indefinitely and must intend to stay in New Zealand after obtaining the grant of New Zealand citizenship.

Additionally, if your child is aged 13 and under, your child is exempt from the language and character requirements.. Children aged 14 and 15 must meet the language and character requirements.

See here for the presence requirement, language requirement, character requirement, and child exemptions.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 10th August 2020 at 09:22 PM.