Thread: Australian living in NZ for 5 years. PR ?

Default Australian living in NZ for 5 years. PR ?

Hello everyone from sunny yet windy Waikato.
    My husband is Australian as some of you may already know. It's been years I've been telling him that he should have changed his travel conditions or applied to PR but he couldn't be lazier.
    With this whole COVID-19 situation we really need to get this sorted. If we had been overseas he couldn't have come back in. If things go wrong back home and he has to go check on family he won't be able to re enter. Therefore: Can he apply to citizenship directly or do we have to apply to PR first?
    Time spent in NZ not an issue.
    Thank you!

He should be able to re enter NZ being an Australian citizens who usually reside in New Zealand. Maybe he only have to prove it while asking for the exemption if he needs it.

Here you go. https://www.govt.nz/browse/passports...-requirements/ As long as he can prove he's been living in NZ for five years, he can apply directly for citizenship.

Alternatively if he doesn't want to get NZ citizenship, get him to apply for PR as soon as possible.

It's relatively cheap and harmless and it does give you the same rights as a citizen to travel to New Zealand

My husband entered NZ on his Australian passport and applied for citizenship after 5 years. Like many of our friends, he made an appointment to submit his application in-person and was approved within a few weeks (waiting for a ceremony took longer).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Here you go. https://www.govt.nz/browse/passports...-requirements/ As long as he can prove he's been living in NZ for five years, he can apply directly for citizenship.