Thread: Petition

Default Petition

Hello!!

I don’t know much about parliament petitions but I Think there has been afew on here?!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting one for changing the requirements to apply for PR and citizenship? Currently
    It’s 2years for PR and 5years from citizenship from the date of residency approval.. This rule was all well and good when it was only taking 6months to process a residency application, but with the current processing times, it will be closer to a 4 year wait for PR and a 7 year wait for Citizenship. I was thinking a petition to change it from the date of approval to the date of submission, for onshore applicants who are already contributing to NZ economy! That way the 18+ months we are waiting for approval won’t be wasted months

Counting from lodgement date is fair when it comes to applying PR. 18+ months of process time is ridiculous.
    The police certificate is only valid for six month to apply visas. By the time they get to my application, the certificate will be two years old!!

I Agree but don't think the timing is right now to start a parliament petition with the upcoming elections

Quote Originally Posted by claire22 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting one for changing the requirements to apply for PR and citizenship? Currently
    It’s 2years for PR and 5years from citizenship from the date of residency approval.. This rule was all well and good when it was only taking 6months to process a residency application, but with the current processing times, it will be closer to a 4 year wait for PR and a 7 year wait for Citizenship. I was thinking a petition to change it from the date of approval to the date of submission, for onshore applicants who are already contributing to NZ economy! That way the 18+ months we are waiting for approval won’t be wasted months
    This simply isn't going to be considered seriously by anyone. You're wanting to change the rules so that the countdown begins from when you might be eligible for residence, not from when you actually become a resident. There's too much conjecture around the word "might" for this to be a viable proposition: it's too open to interpretation (and hence fraud and abuse), and it sets a bad precedent: you might think you're eligible for residence, and all INZ needs to do is rubber-stamp your application, but that (together with your proposition) falls flat on its face if you're actually not eligible. The current situation, where the countdown begins once it has been proven that you are eligible (by means of the grant of your Resident Visa) is unambiguous, easier to comprehend, and quite frankly it's absolutely fair.

If your issue is with Resident Visa processing times, then deal with that directly. Don't break one process to try to "fix" another broken process, because you'll be left with two broken processes at the end of the day.

But there really is no "might" unless you're allowing unapproved residence visas to submit PR.