Thread: Citizenship

Default Citizenship

Hi I'm just planning ahead but I obtained Residency in August 2017 and permanent residency in Feb 2020 and wondered how long I need to wait till I can apply for citizenship. I've not broken any travel conditions. I heard that in some circumstances i can apply a few months earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by jstonley View Post
    Hi I'm just planning ahead but I obtained Residency in August 2017 and permanent residency in Feb 2020 and wondered how long I need to wait till I can apply for citizenship. I've not broken any travel conditions. I heard that in some circumstances i can apply a few months earlier?
    Section 8(1) and 8(2) of the Citizenship Act 1977 provide seven requirements that a person must satisfy to be eligible to be approved for a grant of citizenship by the Minister of Internal Affairs, or the Minister's delegate. All seven requirements must usually be met.

The requirements that the person must satisfy the Minister are:

1. [Entitlement to reside indefinitely] that they are
      EITHER
      1. entitled in terms of the Immigration Act 2009, to be in New Zealand indefinitely
        OR
      2. entitled to reside indefinitely in the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau.

2. [Presence] that they were
      EITHER
      1. present in New Zealand (or the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau) with the right to remain indefinitely:
        1. for a minimum of 1,350 days in the five years preceding the citizenship application; and
        2. for at least 240 days in each of those five years

OR
      2. [Crown service] meet the requirement when time spent on Crown Service or accompanying a spouse on Crown Service is taken into account under section 8(5) or 8(6) of the Citizenship Act.
        OR
      3. [Presence reduction] meet the requirements for reduction in presence in section 8(7) of the Citizenship Act.

3. [Character] that they are of good character.
    4. [Responsibilities and privileges] that they have enough knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship.
    5. [English] that they
      EITHER
      1. have enough knowledge of the English language
        OR
      2. meet the criteria for waiver of this requirement in section 8(8) of the Citizenship Act.

6. [Intention] that they intend, if granted citizenship,
      EITHER
      1. to continue to live in New Zealand (including the Cook Islands, Niue, or Tokelau)
        OR
      2. to meet the requirements of section 8(2)(f)(ii) of the Citizenship Act.
        OR
      3. to accompany a spouse on Crown Service.

7. [Full Capacity] that they are not of "unsound mind".

So, to answer your question: you must wait until you meet all of the requirements in my post above before you may apply for the grant of New Zealand citizenship.

For most people, the presence requirement is of most concern. Someone who never travels outside New Zealand will meet the presence requirement precisely 4 months and 240 days from that person's first day in New Zealand as a resident. It is important to note that any travel outside of New Zealand may mean a longer wait until the presence requirement is met (this depends on the individual periods of absence -- see the examples provided by the Department of Internal Affairs here; expand the "If you are not sure you meet the requirement" section to view them). Also note that as per the Citizenship Guidance Document, the presence requirement is calculated as of the date you lodge your application.

It is of course possible to meet the presence requirement but not meet one of the other requirements (from people posting on the forum, usually it will an issue with character). Again, all requirements above must be met.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 8th September 2020 at 10:21 PM.