Thread: Extended visitor visa due to Covid

Default Extended visitor visa due to Covid

Hello everyone,

Hope you and your family are keeping well in this trying time.

The other day INZ announced that:

"The Government is automatically extending current onshore visitor visas that are due to expire between 4 September and the end of October 2020 by five months" and that INZ would be in touch with those eligible by 22/9.

My mother in law holds a 3 year parents visitor visa. She arrived in NZ November last year, was due to leave in March however lockdown happened and then her visa got extended to 25/9. There is no flight back to her home country as of now.

My question is, would the extension apply to those whose visa was already extended? Is there anyone out there who is in the same situation and have you heard anything from INZ?

Thanks in advance!

Going by the words written, this WOULD include your m-I-l. Visitor's visa, yes. Due to expire between those dates, yes. Anything mentioned to exclude those previously extended, no.

I can understand that you're keen to get confirmation officially, but it's still several days before the 22nd, when they say they will be in touch. Give them a chance.

In the event that the Visitor Visa in question is not extended (unlikely as per JandM's reply above, but just covering all the bases here), and your mother in law is unable to leave New Zealand before visa expiry, a Section 61 request will need to be made.

You may also use the Visa Verification Service to ascertain whether the visa has or has not been extended.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryTran View Post
    Hello everyone,

Hope you and your family are keeping well in this trying time.

The other day INZ announced that:

"The Government is automatically extending current onshore visitor visas that are due to expire between 4 September and the end of October 2020 by five months" and that INZ would be in touch with those eligible by 22/9.

My mother in law holds a 3 year parents visitor visa. She arrived in NZ November last year, was due to leave in March however lockdown happened and then her visa got extended to 25/9. There is no flight back to her home country as of now.

My question is, would the extension apply to those whose visa was already extended? Is there anyone out there who is in the same situation and have you heard anything from INZ?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Harry,

Any update?