Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doubting my ANZSCO code selected for SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Zanique View Post
    What is the repercussions of applying under an incorrect ANZSCO code?

I have been reading posts about people doing telephonic interviews where they had to explain how their job ties in to the ANZSCO code claimed and it made me doubt my selected code.
    I applied under code 221111 General accountant, but now I think either the Bookkeeper code 551211 or Finance manager 132211 are more suited.
    In fact, I am probably more in between a bookkeeper and Finance Manager, thus why I thought general accountant would be okay.

My question is how strictly are they matching your duties to those listed under the codes?
    I am a bit worried about this as case officers would not understand your industry and while I certainly do accountant work on a daily, they might not agree 100% with the duties listed under the codes so this is making me a bit nervous
    Hi,

I checked the codes and looks like the code 221111 is at slightly higher level roles within accounting, such as assisting in formulating budgetary and accounting policies and preparing financial statements. Whereas bookkeeping is more into day to day accounting, maintaining records, preparing invoices, monitoring receivables etc. While it can involve preparing financial statement, this may not always be the case. For e.g. a book keeper preparing financials in Xero for a charity and an accountant preparing financial statement of a large company. So, it comes down to what is the substantial portion of your work.

Not wanting to worry you but the Accountant/Bookkeeper roles are assessed quite strictly in terms of the ANZSCO match - at least they used to be, and I doubt that has changed. If the Immigration Officer disagrees that your role substantially matches the ANZSCO claimed, they will put these concerns to you in writing (in a PPI letter - 'potentially prejudicial information') and you have the chance to make a responding argument.

If you happened to lodge after 30 October 2019, Bookkeeper is on Appendix 7 so it's possible to have skilled employment in this role as long as you are paid at or above the applicable median wage at the time.

If you lodged before 30 October 2019, you could claim Bookkeeper if you are paid $37.50 per hour or above.

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    Not wanting to worry you but the Accountant/Bookkeeper roles are assessed quite strictly in terms of the ANZSCO match - at least they used to be, and I doubt that has changed. If the Immigration Officer disagrees that your role substantially matches the ANZSCO claimed, they will put these concerns to you in writing (in a PPI letter - 'potentially prejudicial information') and you have the chance to make a responding argument.

If you happened to lodge after 30 October 2019, Bookkeeper is on Appendix 7 so it's possible to have skilled employment in this role as long as you are paid at or above the applicable median wage at the time.

If you lodged before 30 October 2019, you could claim Bookkeeper if you are paid $37.50 per hour or above.
    HI There @EGoodhue

this is what the code says for general accountant:
    Provides services relating to
    • compliance-based financial reporting,
    • auditing,
    • insolvency and accounting information systems;
    • and advises on associated record-keeping requirements

This is a bit vague in my mind, are there more tasks for this ANZSCO code they will compare to?

I lodged before OCT 2019 and are paid more than $37.50, so if all else fails with General accountant code, will it be accepted on Bookkeeper code? Is it a big deal if a different code turns out to be more suitable?

Since you're paid more than $37.50, you are ok to claim Bookkeeper (which is a Skill Level 4 occupation and therefore requires remuneration $37.50 or above). It's not a big deal if a different code turns out to be more suitable - as long as you meet the relevant remuneration level for the Skill Level and have the work experience and/or qualification that the ANZSCO says you need for the relevant code.

Thank goodness, now I feel better

Quote Originally Posted by areyouhappy View Post
    Hi Zanique I think I have a similar situation with you.
    I used old code when I submitted the smc application then after that i actually found another code which seems more fit into my position. I am hoping if INZ dont think my old code doesn't match my main occupation tasks then they would change/replace it with another code, or at least let me know so i can update, rather than rejecting my application without further look.

I used the old code because when i applied for two previous work visas my HR used that code and INZ approved my visas without any questions. So I thought that should be ok, but i should have checked again and used the new code if I did it again.

Anyway two codes are both skill level 1 and in same industry, so changing my code should have no much impact on my points i think. My concern would be that they doubt my code and don't allow me to change or this takes my time to provide clarification which cause delay in process.

I hope my CO would take easy no my one as he just sent my manager a questionnaire last week and my manger's answers are actually pretty light.

Just update my status re ANZSCO issue
    My CO sent more and specific questions to my manager and was going to have a phone call to me this week.
    My Manager and myself found those questions are bit away from my role. The questions they asked was based on tasks outlined under ANZSCO unit group. (So it is good idea to prepare something to demonstrate you role fits into those tasks, especially if you are working in a specific area/industry that normal people don't have much understanding )
    So I decided to send CO clarification and asked them to update my code to one that is closer to what i am doing. Both codes are under same skill level and industry.
    CO has been nice to me so far and confirm will update my code, although they need to re-schedule another time to assess the new code - re-start the process. I appreciated that.
    This time my manager and I went through the tasks under new code and prepared a summary to allocate my works into those tasks. Sent it to CO and CO confirmed they will review information they have against new code.
    The new code is still away from perfect - some tasks are not relevant at all to the my industry - in my case the Unit group have different ANZSCO codes that represent different areas. However I think they would understand that - as long as my main works fall within some of tasks in there that should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by areyouhappy View Post
    Just update my status re ANZSCO issue
    My CO sent more and specific questions to my manager and was going to have a phone call to me this week.
    My Manager and myself found those questions are bit away from my role. The questions they asked was based on tasks outlined under ANZSCO unit group. (So it is good idea to prepare something to demonstrate you role fits into those tasks, especially if you are working in a specific area/industry that normal people don't have much understanding )
    So I decided to send CO clarification and asked them to update my code to one that is closer to what i am doing. Both codes are under same skill level and industry.
    CO has been nice to me so far and confirm will update my code, although they need to re-schedule another time to assess the new code - re-start the process. I appreciated that.
    This time my manager and I went through the tasks under new code and prepared a summary to allocate my works into those tasks. Sent it to CO and CO confirmed they will review information they have against new code.
    The new code is still away from perfect - some tasks are not relevant at all to the my industry - in my case the Unit group have different ANZSCO codes that represent different areas. However I think they would understand that - as long as my main works fall within some of tasks in there that should be fine.
    Thanks for the update

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123