Thread: Passport

Default Passport

Hey!!

I’m currently waiting on a CO, submission date May 2019, so hopefully will have an outcome before the year is up 🤞🏻

Just wondering what the go is if your passport is due to expire?? Will this be an issue??

I would renew it, but UK passports renewals are pretty much on hold at the min and with limited air mail, it could be months before a new one is processed and returned back to me, just worried I won’t have any passport to provide INZ with

Quote Originally Posted by claire22 View Post
    Just wondering what the go is if your passport is due to expire?? Will this be an issue??
    This will definitely be an issue: an expired travel document is not acceptable as per A2.5 (edit: and also A2.1).

It appears as if the United Kingdom is still issuing passports, but the process is taking longer than usual -- which means that your only option is to renew it in good time that you receive it before your current passport expires. Those that cannot receive a passport from any country of citizenship can request a Certificate of Identity from the Department of Internal Affairs, but as you can still receive a UK passport (albeit rather delayed), this is not an option for you. Given that HMPO is stating that "it is taking longer than usual to process overseas applications because of COVID-19", you should definitely do this sooner rather than later.

Once you receive your new passport, you will need to apply to transfer your current visa (whether it's your shiny new Resident Visa or your current Work Visa) to your new passport.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 26th September 2020 at 01:38 PM.

But what if my residency is to be granted before I receive my new passport, would this be an issue??

I’ll have to send my old passport off before they can send out my new one.. so won’t have a passport for while!!

But what if my residency is to be granted before I receive my new passport, would this be an issue??
    That's far less of an issue: a residence class visa never expires while its holder remains in New Zealand. It can if you're outside New Zealand without valid travel conditions, but you'll need a valid passport for that anyway.

Of course, you'll need to do the aforementioned visa transfer once you receive your new passport.

I’ll have to send my old passport off before they can send out my new one.. so won’t have a passport for while!!
    That's par for the course for HMPO: they will cancel your old passport by physically cutting a corner of it (through the front cover and biodata page).

Can the embassy here extend the expiry of passports? I know my country’s embassy does it for us their citizens.