Thread: Applying offshore for a partner work visa or resident visa

Default Applying offshore for a partner work visa or resident visa

Hi,

I am a UK citizen, living in the UK with my NZ partner. We want to emigrate to New Zealand next year, around April time ideally. Ultimately I will want a resident visa but is it quicker if I apply offshore for a border exception and then partner work visa and when we are in NZ apply for the resident visa as the processing time for a partner work visa seems quicker than a partner resident visa

Trying to work out our quickest options to get to NZ with me being able to work straight away.

Thanks in advance.

How long have you been living with your NZ partner?

About 8+ years

Sorry not to be able to give a clear answer here. In the present circumstances, it's difficult to say what visa processing will go faster, particularly as you're overseas. I expect you've seen this page. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sa-application There have been stories on the threads since some of the INZ offices opened after the first lockdown which showed an amazingly fast turnaround on some cases, when people were resigned to waiting for months - it appears that it's a bit of a lottery.

The route you suggest is certainly a possibility. On the other hand, you may want to consider one advantage of applying for Partner of a New Zealander Residence while overseas is that you can be issued with Permanent Residence, given that you've been living with your NZ partner abroad for more than five years. F2.5.1 here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#46503.htm (That is, you wouldn't have to apply separately and pay a fee for your PR when once you've been living in NZ for two years after getting your residence visa.)