Thread: Partnership residence visa

Default Partnership residence visa

Hey everyone,

I have just applied for my second work visa through my partnership and beeing in the process of applying for residence now. Just wondering if I apply now but have to go home at some point during the process for a family emergency if they would still approve it even though I am not in the country? Haven't been home for years and getting really home sick at the moment+ my granny isn't doing well, I am worried I wouldn't see her again.
    My partner wouldn't be able to come with me as he can't take time off work.

We have lived together for 1,5 years and have a solid evidence of everything. Has anyone been in a similar situation or got any clue?
    Cheers,
    Julie

See here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ly/partnership - the paragraph at the bottom, Time spent living apart.

It's perfectly possible for partners to spend time apart from one another and still be granted their next visa, as long as there is a real and sensible reason why one has gone away, but this reason has to be proved. For instance, if one partner has to study or work away from their home, INZ will require to see proof of enrolment on the course, or details from the employer. If one partner needs to go away because of a full-blown family emergency, it is advisable for there to be evidence from e.g. a doctor, or lawyer (depending on what has happened) - INZ don't just take the applicant's word, and prefer third-party evidence to be from someone official. (If someone was going to take merely a short holiday to see their family, that would pass all right, but the CO would probably ask why the partner didn't go, too.)

There is an extra complication at the moment because of the border closures due to the pandemic. The normal system of flights isn't working. https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/covi...ational-travel People who are overseas at the moment in many countries literally CANNOT get back, even if the NZ border regulations https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...and-exceptions would ALLOW them to come in if there was a flight. This means that the idea of a *short* trip overseas is likely to be impossible. I sympathise with your wish to see your family, but if you decide to leave the country during all the restrictions, you would be opening yourself to the possibility of INZ questioning your partnership, as you would be voluntarily leaving without being certain when you could get back.

Thanks for the detailed answer, JandM!
    Especially the second part seems to be important to consider, looks like I will have to be patient and wait until my residence will be sorted.