Thread: Partner supported residency

Default Partner supported residency

Hi,

I started my residency application almost a year ago. I’ve lived here on work visas for just under 4 years, with my kiwi wife and 2 young kids. Around 2 months ago they asked for a simultaneously conducted interview with me and my wife. During that interview they dropped a bit of a bombshell; not long after submitting my application my wife (after having a silly argument) called INZ and told them she was not supporting my application. I’m not sure she genuinely remembers making the call. It was a stupid argument, and we were going through financially tough times, but we are very much together. Ever since then INZ have been dragging this out. They have now asked us for another interview. It’s honestly pushing the family to breaking point. I’m at the point where I’m having nightmares every night, where I’m being torn away from my family at the airport. I have the Mayor and our local MP ready to go to bat for me if it doesn’t go our way, but I’m wondering if someone else has had a similar experience and can provide some piece of mind?

I'm genuinely surprised that your application has not already been declined under F2.5(d)(i).

INZ's concerns will be that the partnership on which the application is based is not genuine and stable, and all I can suggest is go through F2.20 (evidence supporting an application under the Partnership Category for a residence class visa) with a fine toothed comb. That said, it's possible that nothing you do can salvage your application.

You may want to get advice from a LIA on this one, but be prepared for the possibility that your application is a lost cause.

Ok. You’ve scared the life out of me now. Would they genuinely break up a family and leave my kids without their Daddy?

I'm not going to comment further on your situation, suffice to say that I strongly believe that you should seek professional advice.

That being said, it may not be the end of the road for you if you are unable to gain a Resident Visa via the Partnership Category. If you meet the respective eligibility criteria, residence via the Skilled Migrant Category or the Residence from Work pathway will remain open to you.

Looking at what you said earlier I think you will get a PPI letter (Concern letter) and then you and your partner can provide them as much evidence as possible to prove that your relationship is genuine and stable.

Support letters such as from your neighbours may play a vital role stating about your relationship and your happy family. You and your partner should explain in writing what was actual reason and circumstances (Provide evidence about those) that she made that call to INZ. If you were in financial problems then explain how you overcome those problems.

Overall this is going to be a tough fight but you can change this in your favour.

If in case you get declined you can always challenge immigration officer's decision in Immigration protection tribunal.

Kelerei is right, a relationship where someones partner rings up to end support for an application does not appear to be stable

The interviews are actually your opportunity to put your case to INZ over your relationship now being stable and what you've done to address this.

Use the interviews to your advantage and explain your situation and get professional advice.