Thread: Critical Purpose Visitor Visa Application

Post Critical Purpose Visitor Visa Application

Hey everyone. So I just got my ITA for a CPVV thanks to the newest exemptions set in place for visa-waiver partners of New Zealanders! So sorry for the essay that's about to ensue, but I've been waiting for this moment for 7 months so I don't want to stuff it up! I'm going through the application form now and have a few questions, as the situation I'm in in a little unconventional.

So just a little backstory on my relationship:
    My partner and I met almost 6 years ago, been together for 4, lived together since 2018 in the UK. In May 2019, we decided to quit our jobs and take our life savings and go travel indefinitely. Covid cut that short in March 2020, and since then I've been in my home country, Portugal, and he's been in New Zealand. We were apart when the borders closed completely by chance - we had just visited my partner's family in NZ and, before resuming our travels, I decided to visit my grandmother in Portugal for her 90th birthday. My partner didn't come because flights were super expensive and I was meant to meet him in SEAsia in a couple of weeks anyway to keep traveling. So for the past 7 months, we've been living at our parents', job-less, sitting on a big chunk of savings awaiting our next move. So this is where the tricky part comes in.

In my visa application I'm asked for proof of sufficient funds. As far as I'm aware, there's no specific amount stipulated to be "sufficient" for a month in NZ, so I don't know how much I should have to begin with. Also, because we quit our jobs in May 2019, we haven't received a paycheck since then, especially not in the last 7 months.. But they ask for statements for the last 6 months. I'm not sure what to show them? We also have quite a bit of money in shares - is that considered proof of funds? Should I show them our share portfolio? We won't be paying for accommodation in the near future, as my partner's parents have kindly given us their bach to call a home.

Also, they ask for evidence that I'm a "bona fide visitor: provide evidence to demonstrate that you are a genuine visitor to New Zealand. Examples that you are a bona fide visitor include: your personal, financial, employment ties to your home country and New Zealand; whether you have previously been declined a visa; evidence that supports your reason for travelling to New Zealand. Evidence may include: documents detailing your personal or financial commitments such as mortgage or rental documents in your home country, a letter from your employer stating you have employment in your home country that you will return to". I have no ties to Portugal anymore. I've not lived here in 3 years so I don't have a job, a house, a will, an investment, anything tying me to the country (other than, of course, family). I've also applied for a Partner of a New Zealander Residency Visa, so it's clear that my intent is to live in New Zealand eventually. My purpose is to be reunited with my partner and start our life in New Zealand, in the hopes that my residency visa gets approved in the meantime. (If not, I will of course leave once my CPVV expires, but it won't be because I have a commitment in Portugal). So again, not quite sure how to prove this. I'm thinking honesty in the best policy and just try to detail all of this out on a cover letter?

I'd be super grateful if anyone who's been in a similar situation, with any visa, regarding these situations could let me know their experience! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CBee View Post
    In my visa application I'm asked for proof of sufficient funds. As far as I'm aware, there's no specific amount stipulated to be "sufficient" for a month in NZ, so I don't know how much I should have to begin with. Also, because we quit our jobs in May 2019, we haven't received a paycheck since then, especially not in the last 7 months.. But they ask for statements for the last 6 months. I'm not sure what to show them? We also have quite a bit of money in shares - is that considered proof of funds? Should I show them our share portfolio? We won't be paying for accommodation in the near future, as my partner's parents have kindly given us their bach to call a home.
    Last time I had a family member go through the Visitor Visa process (last year), this was $1000 per month, or $400 if you have prepaid accommodation. You will need to prove to INZ that you have access to said funds.

If you believe that you cannot meet this requirement, the option exists for your partner's parents (assuming that they are New Zealand citizens or residents) to sponsor your application.

Quote Originally Posted by CBee View Post
    Also, they ask for evidence that I'm a "bona fide visitor: provide evidence to demonstrate that you are a genuine visitor to New Zealand. Examples that you are a bona fide visitor include: your personal, financial, employment ties to your home country and New Zealand; whether you have previously been declined a visa; evidence that supports your reason for travelling to New Zealand. Evidence may include: documents detailing your personal or financial commitments such as mortgage or rental documents in your home country, a letter from your employer stating you have employment in your home country that you will return to". I have no ties to Portugal anymore. I've not lived here in 3 years so I don't have a job, a house, a will, an investment, anything tying me to the country (other than, of course, family). I've also applied for a Partner of a New Zealander Residency Visa, so it's clear that my intent is to live in New Zealand eventually. My purpose is to be reunited with my partner and start our life in New Zealand, in the hopes that my residency visa gets approved in the meantime. (If not, I will of course leave once my CPVV expires, but it won't be because I have a commitment in Portugal). So again, not quite sure how to prove this. I'm thinking honesty in the best policy and just try to detail all of this out on a cover letter?
    This, in my opinion, needs a licensed immigration advisor to answer... and I'm not one. I've noticed that Erin is checking in on the forum again through, so hopefully she'll see this and will answer this part.

EDIT: I just noticed that, per H5.35.5, INZ has discretion to grant a different temporary entry class visa, other than a Critical Purpose Visitor Visa -- so theoretically, they can issue you with a temporary entry class visa under V3.15 (the instructions for the Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa) or WF2 (the instructions for the Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa) if there are compelling reasons to. Again, I recommend professional advice if you want to take this potential option further.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 9th October 2020 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks for your reply, Kelerei! I think we're gonna ask my partner's parents to sponsor our application just to be on the safe side, and then I'll also add in my own bank statements and our share portfolio and further proof of funds.

As for the bona fide question, hopefully Erin sees this and can give me some pointers

Just giving some generalised thoughts on the 'bona fide' part, as I've never dealt with the border exemptions process for partners so far - the intent behind this requirement is that INZ want to know that, should your relationship fail and you no longer meet the purpose of a partnership visa granted to you (that is, a partnership visa is granted on the basis that you are in a partnership with a NZer and so, if that partnership no longer existed, the basis of your visa no longer exists) then you would have the ability, means and motivation/incentive to leave New Zealand. Basically, they don't want people whose relationships fail to be stranded in NZ with no other place to go and no support networks in place. So I think you're right that honesty is the best policy and outline your intention to make NZ your permanent home - but also show INZ that you've thought ahead of 'worst case scenarios' (we all like to think that our relationships are never going to fail but, the truth is that sometimes life throws things at us that test our relationships and often those relationships are vulnerable for failure as a result) and what plans you might be able to put in place should you no longer have the basis of a partnership for a partnership visa. Think in terms of answering the question "What would you do if your relationship failed and you no longer had the reason of your relationship to stay in NZ?". It might be enough to show evidence that you have family back in Portugal that you could return to and that there's nothing preventing you from returning to Portugal in the absolute worst case scenario.

I had never actually thought of it like that, but it makes so much sense! I think it will be much easier to explain my intentions if I put it from that perspective.. I really appreciate your help Egoodhue, I was seriously stuck on how to prove this bit for the last few days and it's why I haven't submitted the CPVV yet. But I'm off to add to my already giant cover letter and send this bad boy on its way haha. Thank you!!

Good luck!!!