Thread: EOI selection suspended for another 6 months

Default EOI selection suspended for another 6 months

Last edited by Rocki; 19th October 2020 at 11:13 AM.

I am waiting to submit the EOI myself but I think its a good news and good move because hopefully this will help them focus on the existing backlog and clear it out with no new EOI's anytime soon and in the meanwhile they might come up with new immigration point system in the future.

I'm a bit gutted about this news today. Mainly because the Government has clearly been thinking about this for quite some time now (they didn't just wake up 2 days after the election and think 'let's suspend the selections for another 6 months!') and the timing of this news following the election really stinks. Especially because they've had INZ senior management spouting lines about how the resuming of EOI selections has been "under active consideration" for months now. If they were just honest and transparent about this, it would have made the news a lot easier to take. One can only hope that they use the next 6 months to really sort out the long queue of current applications and get the processing time back down to 4-5 months again for those that are luck enough to be invited to apply once selections resume in 2021.

Hi EGoodHue,

By using the Managed isolation and quarantine, are there any possibilities INZ will focus back soon for SMC visa applications without job offer(who are staying outside of New Zealand)?

My Application lodgement date 17th Dec 2018
    Smc applicant without job offer

Kindly advise.

Highly Unlikely

This is really frustrating. I'm on a WTR visa at the moment but am eligible, now that my wife has skilled employment in NZ, to apply for the SMC visa and get some security and certainty. I don't understand why they can't keep the EOI system operating but restrict it to those currently in NZ?

The government make the rules - they don't have to say why.

You could submit your EOI, so it will be waiting in the pool for whenever selections are started again. However, an EOI only has a six-month life in the pool, so it's rather a gamble whether the magic moment of the doors opening again will arrive within *your* six months.

Thanks Erin for showing light in darkness...much appreciated. In my opinion, I am thinking it is strange that INZ hold SMC EOI or any other visa applications but they still DEDUCT the INZ fees!!!! I hope they make it fair for those that sacrificed to live legal in NZ not only as a Revenue making process.

Thank you JandM for always enlightening...I am now confused about INZ pathways and uncertainties.