Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Residency vs Variation of Travel Conditions

Default Permanent Residency vs Variation of Travel Conditions

Hello lovely people, just wanted to seek your advice.
    I am eligible to apply for a Permanent Resident visa this coming 06 November 2020. However i am going overseas on the 23rd of December (coming back in January 2021).
    I’ve been reading the posts here on how long it took for others to get their Permanent Visa and given some of the time frames of 40+ days or 70+ days to get their PR, I really don’t know what to do. Whether I should apply for a Variation of Travel Conditions instead or if i can actually even do that (every time i click on INZ’s link to read more about ‘Variation of Travel Conditions’ it says the link no longer exists).
    I know some of the members here got their PR email confirmation within a month. But do i want to risk this?
    Also given December is shutdown period for most offices, including INZ.
    Any solutions / advice from you all will be very much appreciated.

Also note, my Resident travel conditions expire on 06 November 2020.
    Last edited by jsb88; 23rd October 2020 at 07:40 PM.

This page https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...vel-conditions is the one you need, I think.

I doubt you can DEPEND on getting PR within a month, so going for a variation of your travel conditions without delay seems to be your best bet.

Another thing that may affect your intended journey is that a lot of airlines are not running their normal flights at the moment - for instance, here is Air NZ's page about what they are doing https://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/travel-alerts, and others are also seriously affected by border and quarantine regulations in different countries - so even if you have a ticket, it MAY not be honoured at the expected time. Also, depending on where you are going, you may be required to go into quarantine on arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This page https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...vel-conditions is the one you need, I think.

I doubt you can DEPEND on getting PR within a month, so going for a variation of your travel conditions without delay seems to be your best bet.

Another thing that may affect your intended journey is that a lot of airlines are not running their normal flights at the moment - for instance, here is Air NZ's page about what they are doing https://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/travel-alerts, and others are also seriously affected by border and quarantine regulations in different countries - so even if you have a ticket, it MAY not be honoured at the expected time. Also, depending on where you are going, you may be required to go into quarantine on arrival.
    Thank you JandM, this is much appreciated. Will heed your advice and apply for a Variation, if i do that, can i still apply for PR as soon as i get back though? Or do I have to ride out, let’s say if they give me a 12 month extension, that period before i can apply for PR?
    Reason i need to travel as soon as possible is because my Dad has been diagnosed with cancer and the rest is better left unsaid. I will be entering a country that allows quarantine free travel to NZ residents but am aware will have to quarantine here when i get back. Don’t know what to say about 2020, everything is just bad timing.
    Hope you and your family are safe during these unprecedented times.

You can apply for a variation of conditions or a Permanent Resident Visa as soon as you meet the relevant immigration instructions (RV2 for a Permanent Resident Visa, RV3 for a variation of travel conditions on an existing Resident Visa) -- there's no need to wait out an entire period for variation of conditions before applying for a Permanent Resident Visa. You can therefore apply for a Permanent Resident Visa as soon as you get back; you could even apply for one before you leave if you like. So long as you apply when (and only when) you meet all the requirements, it's entirely up to you.

By means of example: we were originally planning a trip to visit family and friends back in South Africa in June 2021. As our travel conditions expire in May 2021, our plan around immigration requirements was to apply for a variation of travel conditions in January/February 2021 but still apply for the Permanent Resident Visa in May 2021, submitting a certified copy of the passports due to impending travel and including a covering letter stating the facts around our travel. Obviously, that's not happening any more (doubt we'll be travelling before 2022). At least this means I won't have to bother with the variation of travel conditions any more.

Also, I should probably mention a few points around managed isolation on your return (just in case you aren't already aware of them):

• You will need to secure your place in Managed Isolation before you board your return flight. Your airline will request to see your MIQ voucher on check-in, and will not let you board if you cannot produce one.
    • It is highly recommended that you obtain your MIQ voucher before you book your flights: if there is no space available on the day you want to return, you will need to change your travel plans.
    • You may have compassionate grounds to apply for a waiver of the managed isolation fee.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 24th October 2020 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsb88 View Post
    Thank you JandM, this is much appreciated. Will heed your advice and apply for a Variation, if i do that, can i still apply for PR as soon as i get back though? Or do I have to ride out, let’s say if they give me a 12 month extension, that period before i can apply for PR?
    Reason i need to travel as soon as possible is because my Dad has been diagnosed with cancer and the rest is better left unsaid. I will be entering a country that allows quarantine free travel to NZ residents but am aware will have to quarantine here when i get back. Don’t know what to say about 2020, everything is just bad timing.
    Hope you and your family are safe during these unprecedented times.
    So sorry to hear about your father's illness, and I hope you manage the trip all right for his, and your, sakes. ((()))

Great post from Kelerei, with all the ramifications. Yes, you can apply for PR whenever you are eligible, regardless of getting VOC as well.

Thank you Kelerei, I didn’t know about securing an MIQ slot, so you just saved me from a potentially problematic scenario on my way back to NZ.
    Also relieved that i can apply for PR while my travel conditions are extended.

JandM and Kelerei thank you both for sharing your vast knowledge on Immigration processes to us here along with EGoodhue. I can just imagine the staggering number of people you’ve helped in these forums by sharing what you know. May all of you always be blessed!

Hi JandM and Kelerei, just letting you know I received my PR eVisa today after originally submitting an application for a Variation of Travel Conditions as per your advice. There’s a question in the application - F2, that if during the time of assessment an INZ officer finds you’re eligible for PR or another more favourable visa, you give them authority to grant you that visa, which of course i ticked YES!

So did not have to submit another application for PR. Guess this is the shortcut as it only took 14 days.

Excellent news!

Wishing you a safe journey, as trouble-free as possible in these difficult times, and a blessed and comforting time with your father and the rest of your family. Take care of yourself, and please let us know when you're safely back.

Thank you for all your help and well wishes JandM, it means a lot to me and my family at this time.
    Will let you know when i get back and perhaps share any information and experience i will be having in NZ’s Managed Isolation, if that would help others.
    I wish you and your family a meaningful and happy yuletide season. Take care and stay safe!

@jsb88 hi there! Congratulations on gaining permanent residency! Just want to ask, what sort of documents did you submit with your application for variation of conditions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast