Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting pregnant while applying for resident visa

Default Getting pregnant while applying for resident visa

Hi all,
    Hope you are all doing fine during this hard times. I would like to ask if anyone got in the same situation as mine. Me and my partner applied for SMC and we already have a CO (no contact yet). A question in my mind is that as I am currently pregnant, do we need to inform our CO about my situation? Is it required? I am just worrying if we do so, they might delay our resident visa. Also when I applied for post study work visa before, it was found out that I had a fibroid which was already removed. Will the CO ask for another set of medical certification from me given that I had a medical history though I was already cleared before when I applied for my post study work visa. Hoping for anyones thoughts. Thank you

Congratulations!

Pregnancy is no bar to being granted Residence under SMC. It is not regarded as an illness, and is no grounds for a medical to be found not satisfactory. It will not delay processing of your application.

You do need to notify the CO of the change in your circumstances.

It is possible, but not certain, that a new medical will be required, depending on what kind of certificate you got last time. The health requirements for Residence visas and for Temporary Work visas are different (see here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#35154.htm), and the CO may find that your previous one does not cover all the points needed, or else the previous certificate may have been marked to say that you should have a follow-up one before any further visa is granted. So basically, the answer is, 'Try it and see.' But there should be nothing to worry about on the basis either of the (removed) fibroid, or the pregnancy.

Thank you so much JandM. My only worry if ever my CO will ask for new medical and me being pregnant at the moment won’t be able to have a full medical e.g. xray etc. will cause a further delay with our application.

A pregnancy takes months. Processing an SMC application takes months. It could turn out that, if the CO decides to require another medical, you'd've had the baby by then.

Anyway, what will be will be. Worrying about what *might* happen never changed anything. One step at a time and see what happens.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by danica06 View Post
    Thank you so much JandM. My only worry if ever my CO will ask for new medical and me being pregnant at the moment won’t be able to have a full medical e.g. xray etc. will cause a further delay with our application.
    INZ will not ask for an x-ray if you can give them a reference from your GP/Midwife saying that you're pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sackboy View Post
    INZ will not ask for an x-ray if you can give them a reference from your GP/Midwife saying that you're pregnant.
    Correct, as per A4.20(a) -- but note that per A4.20(e)(iv), an Immigration Officer may require a Chest X-ray Certificate anyway (in which case, I would imagine that INZ will defer making a decision on the application until the pregnancy is over and a Chest X-ray Certificate can be provided).

Validity of my wife medicals gonna end in couple of days and we are already assigned a CO in September( with no progress ). Will we be asked to redo the medicals.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingsinceBC View Post
    Validity of my wife medicals gonna end in couple of days and we are already assigned a CO in September( with no progress ). Will we be asked to redo the medicals.
    It's possible: if an Immigration Officer considers that updated Medical Certificates and Chest X-ray Certificates are necessary to establish whether you have an acceptable standard of health, you may be required to produce updated certificates less than three months old. See A4.20(e)(iv) if you are applying for a residence class visa, or A4.25(g) if you are applying for a temporary entry class visa.

thank you Kelerei

However, very often, as long as the medicals were valid at the date of lodgement, and there isn't any particular reason to suppose (such as an overseas visit, or a notified diagnosis) that the applicant has developed a health problem in the meantime, INZ allow them to stand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast