Thread: Police Check

Default Police Check

Hello guys,

I am applying for a new work visa. I plan to stay more than 24 months in New Zealand and it seems I have to upload two police checks because I have two citizenships (Spain and Argentina). However, I havn´t lived in Argentina since I was 10 years old. Still, the application puts it as a requisite.

Do you know if the case officer would understand my situation? Do I really need it? Are they flexible enough?

Thank you!

Per A5.5(c), applicants for a temporary entry class visa must, if required (which you are, as A5.5(a)(ii) states that those aged 17 and over applying for a temporary entry class visa must undergo a character check if intending to stay in New Zealand for 24 months or longer), obtain a police or similar certificate from their country of citizenship, and from any country in which they have lived for five or more years (whether on one visit or intermittently) since attaining the age of 17 years.

As you hold citizenship of both Spain and Argentina, A5.5(c)(i) therefore requires you to obtain police certificates from both of these countries. The fact that you have not lived in one of your countries of citizenship since the age of 10 is of no consequence to INZ: if you are a citizen of that country, you are required to provide that country's police certificate. Failing to do so will likely result in your application being declined as per A5.1 (failing to meet the requirement of good character).

The only exception that INZ can make is if the police certificate in question is not available or is unduly difficult to obtain, per A5.10.1.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 9th November 2020 at 06:16 AM.